Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, July 24, 2006

Honey Ginger Salmon with Risotto

Yesterday I was up at 4 in the morning and by 6 I was bent over in pain again (ugh!) so I went back to bed and slept until 11.. holy schnikeys! Once up, I discovered that Hubbs had cleaned the house and aired out the stench of the chicken from hell of the night before. After all that sleep, I was feeling pretty good for a switch and a change.. and seeing my house freshly cleaned put me in an even better mood.

Wayne's brother is up from Florida and staying with their other brother at his cabin in the woods and I knew Wayne was dying to go see them, so I begged him to just go have some fun and not worry about me, I was feeling good. Besides, this was probably going to be his only chance, as we've finally heard from bossman that Wayne will most likely have to leave for Arkansas next weekend. It will only be for a week this time, but his brother will be gone by the time he gets back.

After he left I came back to the office, propped up my feet (hi doc!), and checked e-mail and my blogroll. Not long after, I started feeling the pain again but thought to myself that this is simply ridiculous. I can not do another day in bed, I've got laundry out the ying yang and I missed my kitchen so very much. So I popped a pain pill left over from surgery. I know, I know.. not following doctor's orders, blah blah blah.. but this laying in bed shit obviously wasn't helping (at least not fast enough for me) and my body was screaming for some movement. After the initial 15 minutes of feeling high as a kite (woo!), I couldn't feel the pain anymore and proceeded to get some laundry done. I was careful, made several trips with small baskets of clothes and didn't over exert myself. And I've gotta tell yas, I felt great the rest of the day. Every once in a while I'd get a pang, but nothing like the previous pain I'd been having. I accomplished quite a few chores and didn't feel any worse for the ware. Today, I feel pretty good - and am going back to work. I really think the movement did me some good, honest! :D

In between loads of laundry I checked out a few of my cookbooks and decided that I wanted to cook a beautiful piece of salmon I had bought last week. While looking for a recipe, I also had Food TV on (shocker, eh?) and The Head (a/k/a Giada) was making a simple risotto that looked fabulous. So I looked through her book and found the recipe which I thought would be a great side to the Honey-Ginger salmon recipe I had decided on in the Cooking Light book.

We aren't big fans of salmon in this household. I've attempted it twice now and it just never floated our boats. I sincerely think that the difference this time was the fillet I bought. Normally my grocery store carries the farm raised fish shipped in from Chile or Vietnam or somewhere equally far away. This fillet was from Alaska and was caught wild (or so the fish gal said). It was of the darkest ruby red that I've ever seen and smelled like nothing really, meaning there was no over powering fishy smell at all. Still, I only bought a 1/2 pound fillet, just because we've never been that into salmon. I cut the fillet in half, which gave us both a nice slice of fish and I marinated it as per instructions.

Hurray! The fish was marvelous and although I will only buy the same fish caught wild in Alaska from here on out.. we will have it again. I'm so happy about that because I've seen so many fabulous salmon recipes that looked insanely good but I was afraid of making them. Now I know I can try them out, now that I know which salmon to buy.

This was a sweet glaze, well doh! honey!, and it did pair very well with the savory risotto. The risotto was amazing.. creamy, nutty and buttery. Yum.

Honey Ginger Salmon w/Risotto
Honey-Ginger Glazed Salmon
Courtesy of Cooking Light's Annual Recipes 2006
Basic Risotto
Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

For the salmon:
2/3 c. sage honey (I used basic clover honey)
2 TBS. fresh lemon juice
2 TBS. warm water
1 1/2 tsp. grated, peeled ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
4 (6 oz.) skinless salmon fillets (1 inch thick)
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

In a small bowl, combine honey, juice, water, ginger and garlic.

Pour honey mixture into a 9" x 13" x 2" Pyrex baking dish, arrange fish in pan, skinned side up. Let stand 20 minutes. Turn fish over, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and bake for 7 minutes.

Remove from oven and preheat broiler.

Brush fish with honey mixture and broil for 7 minutes, (As you can see, the honey mixture started to burn a bit after about 5 minutes, so I took the fish out and it was perfectly done.) or until fish is browned and flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.

I cut both of these recipes in half.

For the risotto:
4 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used a good chicken stock)
3 TBS. butter
3/4 c. finely chopped onion
1 1/2 c. Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
1/2 c. dry white wine
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresly ground black pepper
2 TBS. fresh, chopped basil (Recipe didn't call for this, so optional)

In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer. Cover the broth and keep hot over low heat.

In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 2 TBS. of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the wine and simmer, until the wine has almost completely evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 c. of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth 1/2 c. at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition of broth to absorb before adding the next, until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes total. Remove from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, the remaining TBS. of butter, salt & pepper and the basil (if so desired). Transfer the risotto to a serving bowl and serve immediately.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Honey Ginger Salmon with Risotto"

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (7/24/2006 8:55 AM) : 

Wow, Lis. That looks amazing! I have to try that soon.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/25/2006 4:53 AM) : 

Thanks, LR - it was pretty darned tasty ;)

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (7/25/2006 3:20 PM) : 

I hope you are feeling better today. :(

That salmon and risotto look sooo good. I am gonna start using my cooking light cookbooks now! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/26/2006 9:05 AM) : 

Hope you're feeling better darls, and I'm glad that your salmon experiment worked out so well! Yum!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/26/2006 1:14 PM) : 

Lis,

That is one gorgeous photo! And the salmon just pops out at you. Great recipe ... hope you're feeling better!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/27/2006 7:31 PM) : 

I tried my hand at making risotto only once.I need to do it agin.I'm like you with the salmon,its just not our favorite meal,but we do try to eat it some.

 

post a comment