Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Recycling Really is a Good Thing

I've always been an adamant recycler.. we've got several bins to sort our trash in. Gotta do my thing for the environment, yanno? Well actually for the fishies, if I'm to be truthful.. I saw a picture of a poor lil fish that was strangled by one of those plastic thingies that links the cans in a 6-pack. So now, not only do I recycle my plastic 6-pack thingies, but I also cut them up into lil pieces - just in case. No one will ever be able to say that I killed a poor innocent lil schmelt.

Okay well now that I've given a lil too much information on one of my weirdnesses, I should explain that this post is not about recycling my aluminum and plastic products. No.. this post is about recycling banana cake! Dorie's banana cake, to be specific. =)

Banana Bread Pudding

I've probably made this cake about 8 times since November when I originally tried it. We both love it and think it's the best banana cake ever. This last time that I baked it, I wanted cupcakes/muffins to take to work, so I baked the batter in my cupcake tins. The good thing is they turned out wonderful, the bad thing is - the batter made 36 cupcakes! Not that's a really bad thing.. just way too many cupcakes for us to eat before they started going a lil stale.

I really didn't want to throw the last dozen or so out but it was too late to freeze. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to make Peabody's bread pudding again - I'll just sub the banana cupcakes/muffins in lieu of the croissants. Sheer genius! This time the pudding was even creamier as the cupcakes were still pretty moist. I added the jumbo raisins and they lent the perfect chew (I heart those jumbo raisins) to the very banana-ey bread pudding. And that's just it - this banana cake gets better with time - so the banana bread pudding had an outstanding banana flavor because the cupcakes were made about a week prior. I also made the toffee sauce and although these were plenty sweet on their own, yanno me.. gotta go for the over kill. =)

Banana Bread Pudding

I'm very happy with my first attempt at recycling a baked good and I look forward to trying this with something else one day.

As for a recipe.. I just made the banana cake batter as always, baked it in the cupcake tins for about 20 - 30 minutes. I stored them all in an airtight container, and a week later I tore them up and divided them up into 6 ramikins and then made Peabody's custard to pour over. Baked them for about 45 minutes until the tops were golden.. served 'em warm with a drizzle of the toffee sauce. *swoon* If you decide to recycle your own banana cake into bread pudding - be warned that the sauce, although big D lil licious, really is overkill as the pudding is sweet enough. =)

Banana Bread Pudding

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Recycling Really is a Good Thing"

 

Blogger Ilva said ... (2/20/2007 8:48 AM) : 

Lisa, your photos are getting better and better! Great!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/20/2007 8:49 AM) : 

You don't have to tell me twice to make a Dorie recipe, I'm on it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/20/2007 10:33 AM) : 

These look great, and I love your recycling idea, but I would have to forego the raisins, and also I would probably go for the overkill with the sauce as well.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (2/20/2007 10:58 AM) : 

Oh, don't you think it might really need the sauce to keep it moist? he,he...always looking for the excuse.
Frugal is so wise and in this case put together a wonderful new dish!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (2/20/2007 11:27 AM) : 

What??!! You can go overboard with sweet??!! Seriously??!! Who knew....

Look very yuumy. Have a few frozen bananas I've been saving for Dorie's banana bread and now I know exactly what I'm doing with the left overs

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (2/20/2007 11:52 AM) : 

That looks amazingly good - and I' think I'm with the idea that too sweet is a good idea too!
If only everyone contributed to recycling so well!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/20/2007 2:33 PM) : 

This looks positively indulgent. And I'm always looking for a good banana bread recipe, so now I'm doubly inspired! Awesome!

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (2/20/2007 4:07 PM) : 

Lis,

What a twist! I love this idea!

And I checked your banana bread post - I shouldn't have. Now I'll dream about the banana bread. Oh, boy. ;)

 

Blogger Helene said ... (2/20/2007 4:11 PM) : 

That banana bread is killer, her pudding is killer so I can only imagine...I see that thre is one for Hubbs, one for you and one for me...right?...right? !!
This looks decadent. Great job!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/20/2007 5:11 PM) : 

Great minds think alike! I have some leftover french toast waiting to be made into bread pudding. I just have to find the right recipe!

BTW - I cut up the 6 pack things too!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/20/2007 6:04 PM) : 

Ilva - THANKS! Coming from you that is the best compliment =)

Bril - I can't believe you haven't tried the banana cake yet.. it's amazing - especially if you like bananas and moistness. Cake moistness that is.

Laurie - hehehe yeah the overkill is a good thing. :D

Tanna - Absolutely! It's all for the integrity of the cake! hehe

Mary - I can't wait to see and hear about yours - hurry! =)

Jenny - hehee *ching* here's to good recycling.

Laura - you will not be disappointed with Dorie's banana cake. =)

Patricia - ahh but such sweet dreams. =)


Helen - YES! One is definitely for you! xoxo

Kristen - I can't wait to see your french bread pudding, sounds wonderful. And I'm very happy to know someone else shares my weirdness! Yay! haha

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (2/20/2007 6:41 PM) : 

Yes I am definitely sure that making these great looking puddings must be good for the environment and maybe even mankind! Hope you are feeling better Lis.

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (2/20/2007 8:42 PM) : 

I can never let good food go to waste either. That looks overthetop decadent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/21/2007 5:34 AM) : 

This is an awesome blog.Just love your ideas and recipes!!Cheers!!Jessica

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (2/21/2007 8:34 AM) : 

Innovative and scrumptious! This is a keeper.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/21/2007 10:47 AM) : 

Callipygia - Thanks sweetie =)

Mary - Thanks!

Jessica - Thanks for stopping by =)

Susan - I hope you try it!

 

Blogger Freya said ... (2/21/2007 11:50 AM) : 

Looks wonderful! I haven't cooked from the book yet (it doesn't need a title by now!) but this looks like it needs to be made!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/21/2007 2:26 PM) : 

Hi Lisa - I love the idea of a taste of banana in a bread pudding! Great way to use up those cupcakes - and those jumbo raisins!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (2/21/2007 5:05 PM) : 

Mmmmm, is there anything you can't do???

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (2/21/2007 5:28 PM) : 

That's what I do...pretty much any bread/cake product I have tried to make into a bread pudding. Never banana muffins though only apple so I will have to give that a try.

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (2/21/2007 10:50 PM) : 

YUM!! How wonderful, and how creative. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/22/2007 5:17 AM) : 

I agree with Ilva, your photographs of these puddings are terrific!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/22/2007 1:13 PM) : 

Freya - ha! You're right.. it doesn't need a name, does it? =) I look forward to seeing what you decide on from it!

Gilly - Why thank you ma'am =)

Sara - Where should I start my list? hehe

Peabody - Ohhh apple bread pudding sounds damn good too!

Kirsten - Thanks! Hope you are feeling better =)

Ellie muh luv - thank you thank you thank you! hehe :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/22/2007 10:19 PM) : 

You are the Queen of Recycling!!! Those desserts look amazing.

 

post a comment