Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, July 09, 2007

HHDD - Sorbet!

I've got 6 minutes to write this post before I am sooo past the deadline for my friend, Laura's, edition of Hay! Hay! It's Donna's Summer Day! Sorbet. Acckkk - me and my problem of not knowing when to shut the fakk up and I've only got 6 - errr, FIVE minutes to hit publish!

Gingered Pear Sorbet

Why am I so late? Because I just spent the best 5 days with my lil Tartelette! What a blast we had! What a darling she is! We shopped, we baked, we laughed out loud! We drank wine and she had her very first s'more! ha! We exercised.. briefly. We cooked! We drank wine! We visited with family and enjoyed each other's company immensely! But, MY GOD. That lil girl wore me out! heheee And that statement is hilarious as she did most of the damn work - so there ya go. =)

So this is why I am going to run over that deadline by a couple few minutes - feel my pain, kids! Feel. My. Pain.

But I am here writing this up because I want to show my support for one of my new friends, an extremely talented baker, a fellow Daring Baker and last month's winner of HHDD - Caesar Salad! I'm talking about the lovely Laura of EAT DRINK LIVE. She totally blows me away with her creations and I'm so happy that she joined up with the Daring Bakers or I might not have discovered such a talent and such a fantastic lady.

Gingered Pear Sorbet

Laura chose sorbet for this month and I was nicely surprised with her choice. I love sorbet but have never made it before - so this was going to be a great challenge! My first thought was watermelon - my all time favorite fruit. But as I was searching for recipes, I came across one for Gingered Pear Sorbet. Holy crap, I hadda make it! And as fate would have it, I believe this choice was meant to be. On Friday, Helene and I went shopping at Trader Joe's (how I heart you TJ!) and the first item we see is a lil glass pot of Ginger Spread. Oh man.. it just looked and sounded so good that we both bought a jar.

Gingered Pear Sorbet

Once we were home (after a very lovely day) we unpacked our goodies and planned our method of attack for the next day of baking and sorbet making. After we had that settled we opened the wine. Okay, so we might have opened it a lil sooner, but who was keeping track?? Anyhoo.. the next day we started rather late (there is just so much to do - and by that I mean there is so much to gossip and giggle about!) but made the sorbet first. That ginger spread came in very handy as it was the perfect substitute for the ground ginger called for in the recipe. This sorbet is amazingly light and zingy. The pear flavor comes through very nicely but the sweetness and kick of the ginger is the star of this sorbet, for sure.

I'm now confident that I can take this base recipe and make all kinds of different fruity flavors and that just tickles me pink as I can have a whole cup (you did say so, Helene! I heard you!!) of it as opposed to like a 1/2 cup of low fat ice cream. Party on! teeee!

Ohhhh Laurrrrraaaaaa.... here be my submission to your lovely round up! Gingered Pear Sorbet - fanfarkintastic! :D

Gingered Pear Sorbet
Gingered Pear Sorbet
Adapted from a recipe submitted by Donna Cline on All Recipes

1 (29 ounce) can pear halves (I went with a 15 oz. can of light pears in their own juice and a few larger pear halves from a jar of pears)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (I used 2 tsp. of Trader Joe's Ginger Spread)
yellow food coloring (I omitted this - it's pretty enough on it's own)

Drain pears, reserving 1 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use); set pears aside. In a saucepan, bring sugar and reserved juice to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool.

In a blender, process the pears, lemon juice and ginger spread until smooth. Add cooled syrup and food coloring if desired; cover and process until pureed. Pour into an 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. dish. Cover and freeze for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until partially frozen.

Return mixture to blender; cover and process until smooth. Place in a freezer container; cover and freeze for at least 3 hours. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving.

Gingered Pear Sorbet

PS - I can not recommend highly enough purchasing your own French Pastry Chef. Seriously kids, having your own comes in so handy. Not only will she boil your pear syrup for you, but she'll create a gorgeous lil rose out of a slice of pear so that your very boring pictures turn out extra special. =) Hurry - check out HSN or Amazon today!!!

Labels: ,

Comments on "HHDD - Sorbet!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2007 7:07 AM) : 

It looks so good and refreshing... and VERY interesting combination.
I have to try this.
Ciao.

 

Blogger KJ said ... (7/10/2007 7:17 AM) : 

Your sorbet looks delicious. What a great combination. I love pear and I love ginger. So I'm sure I would love this. I hope to try it for myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2007 7:32 AM) : 

Sounds like you two lovely ladies had an awesome time! And what an awesome sorbet rose - Helen's skill is pretty terrif! What's the going rate for a pastry chef of her skill level these days, anyway? ;)

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (7/10/2007 7:49 AM) : 

Fantastic times. Well, I knew there would be laughing and wine and you didn't disappoint.
The sorbet looks beyond fantastic and the rose pulls me right into the sweetness! Really lovely.
The whole thing makes me happy.

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (7/10/2007 8:14 AM) : 

That is so cool that the two of you had so much fun. I can't believe she made a rose out of the pear. The sorbet looks amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2007 8:49 AM) : 

That is a great looking sorbet with the rose shape and all. Pear sorbet is my favorite of all flavors! I think pear is the best fruit to make into a sorbet and actually taste the essence of the pear.

 

Blogger Warda said ... (7/10/2007 10:02 AM) : 

The perfect Summer sorbet Lis.I am so jealous to hear about your adventure with Helen!!! It sounds like you had some fun together. A lot of fun actually if we count all the bottles of wine!

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (7/10/2007 11:19 AM) : 

Lis, if these aren't food glam shots, I don't know what are. What an excellent combination. The texture looks lovely, too. YUM.

I'm so glad you had fun with Tartlette! San Diego is waiting, you know...Trader Joes is a hop, skip, and a jump. Wine. Oh, and that ocean. Palm trees?

 

Blogger Sara said ... (7/10/2007 11:58 AM) : 

Awesome, you girls had tons of fun! That sorbet looks totally amazing!!!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (7/10/2007 1:05 PM) : 

This looks fabulous!! I'll take my own French Pastry Chef - although I'm sure I'll have to buy a new (larger) wardrobe!!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (7/10/2007 2:35 PM) : 

Ahhahha!!! Wine? Which wine? Talking? Who? We do know how to pack a lot in one day, don't we? I only did the dishes..you did it all girl!
We'd better warn people that having me around means feeding me...a lot!!!
I have to make it, it was so freaking good. Your pictures really make my mouth water!

 

Blogger Belinda said ... (7/10/2007 2:42 PM) : 

The combination of flavors...pear and ginger...sounds beyond heavenly. I'm loving all of these food blog events and compilations of themed recipes...such fun, and the recipes are so enticing. I'm definitely adding this to my list of summer must-try recipes...although there is no way my sorbet will ever end up in the form of rosettes! I wish! :-)

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (7/10/2007 2:57 PM) : 

I have never had pear ice-cream/sorbet/gelatto, I want some of this, Lis!

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (7/10/2007 3:11 PM) : 

Ginger pear, oh boy! That is so my kind of recipe :) and love the little pear rose, the only thing I like better than something fab to eat is something fab to eat that's pretty too !

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (7/10/2007 3:18 PM) : 

Lisa you so crack me up! I can't wait to hear more about you and Helen's big weekend of funness!!

And I'm headed out to TJs right now for the goodies to make this and then stick my head in a big bowl (it is almost 100 degrees here today!!)

hugs

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2007 3:50 PM) : 

Gorgeous sorbet Lis - refreshing and very summery!

And I just KNEW you gals would have a rockin' good time together - I'm so pleased! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2007 4:06 PM) : 

Your sorbet is so beautiful. One of the scoop looks like a flower. :)

 

Blogger Morven said ... (7/10/2007 5:50 PM) : 

Pear and ginger is a great combination and I imagine it would be nice and zingy in a sorbet. Nothing better than messing around in a kitchen with a friend - glad you had such a fun time. When are y'all coming to New Zealand? I have two spare rooms and the beds are already made up!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (7/10/2007 6:12 PM) : 

Gosh Lis, that looks fabulous and I am so happy for you both that you had so much fun together. The recipe looks good an easy, tho I may have to borrow Helene for the pear rose!

 

Blogger tammy said ... (7/10/2007 9:46 PM) : 

Oh, that rose was a pear. Now I get it. I was kinda wondering how you got your sorbet into a rose shape. Magic?

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (7/11/2007 6:09 AM) : 

What a fun time you two have had. Great flavour combo on the sorbet. Thanks for joining in at HHDD.

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (7/11/2007 11:04 AM) : 

All this sounds fantastic, fun and laughs, wine and baking...

I had my eye on this rose first thing and saw it through the whole post..minus one pic at which point I was convinced I started seeing things. TG it's Helene's skills and not my deviously concealed madness!

 

Blogger Laura said ... (7/11/2007 12:58 PM) : 

I still wish I could have been there! Thanks so much for the beautiful sorbet!
xx

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (7/11/2007 5:02 PM) : 

Looks nice and refreshing. I'd vote for you!
Ah Helen and yet another one of her many hidden talents.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (7/11/2007 10:46 PM) : 

I am so glad you enjoyed your time with Helen! How very cool. The Sorbet...hmmmmmm...perfect for this hazy, hot, and humid weather here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/12/2007 11:33 AM) : 

So glad you had a wonderful time together! Helen and her marvelous talents -- that rose is so lovely. Pear and ginger sounds so luscious . . . oh, I want some now!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/12/2007 1:54 PM) : 

I love how that front scoop looks like a rose! Combine that with the flavor = heaven.

Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/12/2007 9:44 PM) : 

Orchidea - Please do!

kj - I hope you do to, it was excellent =)

Ellie muh luv - Yes! Helene is super talented! Unfortunately, they go for a pretty penny - but totally worth it! I could only afford 1 week. har!

Tanna - I'm so glad & me too!

Cheryl - I know! You shoulda seen my face when she was making it.

Sis - Again, we share the same brain.. pear so beat out watermelon and just for the reason you stated ;)

Rose - Thanks! We had a blast!

Kelly - I've booked my flight. Am there tomorrow! xoxo

Sara - Thanks! Now we need you to sell the house & get settled so you and I can have tons of fun too!

Deborah - Ha! You aren't kidding! :)

Helene - I heart you. xoxo

Belinda - Maybe we can talk Helene into a tutorial with pictures? :D

Patricia - I wish I could give you some!

Kelly-Jane - I couldn't agree more! Thanks sweetie =)

Mary - I hope you made it and I wish I could make you some right now - I'd deliver it with a huge hug. xoxo

Gilly - Thanks sweetie =)

Pamela - Thanks so much!

Morv - If I could get on a plane tonight, I would. xoxo

Callipygia - Because I love you so, I'd share Helene with you. heheeee!

Tammy - har!

Barbara - Thanks =)

Karen - LOL Definitely Helene this time, not the madness. ;)

Laura - I wish you could have been here too! Thanks =)

Gracie - Thank you, sweetie :D

Chris - you ain't just whistlin' dixie!

Fruittart - We did and thanks!

Ari - Thanks honey =)

xoxo

 

Blogger Amy said ... (7/15/2007 1:22 PM) : 

Pear and ginger sounds lovely together and that rose is so pretty!

 

Blogger SteamyKitchen said ... (7/17/2007 2:57 PM) : 

the photo looks like a sorbet flower!!! lovely.

 

post a comment