Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Drop In and Decorate: Cookies for Donation!

Until just recently, I was not aware of this fabulous way to help those in need.

Lydia of the gorgeous and extremely well written blog, The Perfect Pantry contacted me with all the information.

DI&Dlogoblog

Lydia is the founder of Drop In and Decorate a fun way of getting with friends and family to bake cookies together - and then donate your treats to a local shelter, food pantry, senior center, etc. What I like most about her idea is that it's a win-win situation! You get to be with the people you love, in the place you love the most (the kitchen!) and you get to really be a part of helping someone who is in need.

Sure, cookies won't feed a starving nation - but cookies will brighten up someone's day like nothing else could. The people eating your delicious cookies would appreciate some home baked goodness - it's probably not often that they get such a wonderful gift!

So, I'm delighted to pitch in and write this post, in hopes that the 4 of you who read my blog, will get together with your favorite people, bake up a few batches of cookies and then drop them off where you think they are needed most. I know I'm going to be doing this! I've already asked a group of my favorite girlie girls and we will be baking in the next few weeks. I CAN'T WAIT! It's going to be a blast! And wow.. I just thought of something.. I'll have help cleaning up! WOOOO!! heeee

Hey, here's another terrific thing about Drop In and Decorate - King Arthur Flour Co. is jumping on the bandwagon, too! They are offering a Drop in and Decorate Baking Kit which will make your baking day all that more easy. AND if you order between now and November 15th, King Arthur will include a FREE dough scraper. =)

Add the kit to your shopping cart. On the payment page, enter Promotion Code "Dropin" to the Promotion field and click the Update button. The page will refresh and the dough scraper will be added to your order. Offer valid through November 15 only (but the kit is on sale until December 26, and would make a great holiday gift).

C'mon kids.. get your friends/family over and do a lil baking for charity! And hey.. if schedules don't mesh and your weekend to bake isn't great for anyone else, go ahead and Drop In and Decorate yourself - nothing wrong with that at all! =)

Ohhh one more wee thing.. I found this myself while reading Lydia's Nine Cooks website. There is an artist in Providence, Rhode Island, named Shawn Kenny who paints extremely gorgeous food themed paintings. They are fabulous - you must go look! If you happen to fall in love and purchase one, part of the proceeds go to agencies who are helping to fight hunger.

Hugs!
xoxo

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Drop In and Decorate: Cookies for Donation!"

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (11/06/2007 7:49 AM) : 

Oh, Lis, how I wish I lived close enough to be one of your girlie girls!! Thank you so much for helping to spread the word about Drop In & Decorate.

 

Blogger Mary said ... (11/06/2007 11:30 AM) : 

What a terrific idea! Thank you for posting about Drop in & Decorate. I may not have heard about it otherwise.

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (11/06/2007 3:50 PM) : 

Hey Lis, I've seen this around and thought that it sounded fun, worthwhile (and prevent me from eating the proceeds...) I know just the place to deposit mine. Now if only my "girly girls" were available. *sigh*

 

Blogger Marie Rayner said ... (11/07/2007 2:42 AM) : 

What a great idea! Thanks for posting. I wonder if they do that anywhere over here. LOVE the food paintings! that is one incredibly talented guy!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (11/07/2007 8:46 AM) : 

Shawn Kenny's paintings are so realistic Lis. The Drop in and Decorate is a wonderful way to give over the holiday season. We get to do our favourite things: bake and drink wine and get together with our friends.

 

Blogger Katie Zeller said ... (11/08/2007 3:28 PM) : 

It's the help cleaning that really cinches it!

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (11/09/2007 8:47 AM) : 

Happy birthday to you! And aren't you lucky to have a great friend like Ivonne to let everyone know!

 

Blogger african vanielje said ... (11/09/2007 3:18 PM) : 

Great idea Lis ( I think I'm the 5th person). And happy birthday for yesterday.!!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (11/09/2007 8:14 PM) : 

Happy Birthday to my bestest girl friend. You have become a very important part of my life and I can't imagine not having you in it. Thank you for being there everytime I sned an s.o.s.
Hope you have loads of fun celebrating!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11/10/2007 9:02 AM) : 

What a great idea! I have a question though, do the places where you donate your cookies to have laws about recieving homemade goods? I wasn't sure, but a company I worked for didn't donate because they were afraid of lawsuits. Do you anything about that? cause I would love to participate!

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (11/10/2007 10:38 AM) : 

Bake your cake -- Lis asked me to respond to your question, and I'm so glad you asked! I have never had an agency turn down this gift of homemade food. I've always been completely upfront about the ingredients (trying to make sure people with compromised immune systems, pregnant women, allergic folks, etc. know exactly what is in the cookies). If an agency has a policy that they cannot accept homemade food, they will tell you; if they do accept it, they are taking responsibility for it. Please let me know if you do a Drop In & Decorate event!

 

Blogger Elle said ... (11/11/2007 11:43 AM) : 

This is a great idea and I can think of at least three local organizations who would be happy to get some cookies to distribute. The timing is good, too, with the holidays coming up. Wish I had time to fly your way and be one of the bakers in your kitchen...maybe another year :) Thanks for posting on this.
You are starting your new year out with your usual kindness and sass. Happy *belated* Birthday!

 

post a comment