Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Squeeeee! Even if it's the last minute!

Yeah yeah.. we all know the program by now. Ms. AlwaysByTheLastMinute. But my excitement never waned! I was thrilled with this choice of challenges by one of my most favorite sweethearts, Jen of Use Real Butter. Jen, you did an awesome job this month - thank you so muchly! And no, YOU rawk! :D

With flour underneath my nails, my lower back and feet KILLING ME from standing over the counter rolling and filling, and the yummiest of Chinese potstickers sitting happily in my bellaye, I write this very short post in hopes that I can talk Hubbs into one of his magical backrubs!

Obviously, I took a brief pause from my low-carb lifestyle to make these potstickers. But there was NO WAY I was going to take a chance that I wouldn't like these because of usage of an alternate flour that I am unfamiliar with. And I'm really glad I did.. that dough was a dream to work with. I went a little thinner than the recipe called for, even though I would probably have problems with them breaking while cooking (see below), but the only dumplings I truly love are the ones with the thinnest of "skins". To my amazement, I only had 2 wounded soldiers!

The filling was also SPOT ON! Soooooooo delicious! Both Hubbs and I were "oooh-ing" and "awww-ing" while we ate them this evening. I decided to just make enough for dinner tonight, which left me with a lot of filling left over. I froze it and figured even if it gets a lil mooshey due to the mushrooms in it, I'll just squeeze it in a cheesecloth.

Now ask me how the pleating went. Go ahead, I dare ya.

Frying Potstickers

Jesus, Joseph and Mary I am unfuckincoordinated. Dudes. You have no idea. I'd get like 3 half-assed pleats on one side and then just stare at the other side trying to figure out how to do it the opposite way. Hello? Needless to say, the left side of the 6 pleated potstickers I tried, all ended up being a smooshed insult to dim sum everywhere. *sigh*

Potstickers?

I finally said, "fakk it" and decided to make cute lil purses instead. Much easier - all the pleats went in the same direction and I could smoosh them LEGALLY when finished! Party on!

Potstickers?

I didn't feel like making my usual potsticker dipping sauce and couldn't find the printed page where Jen's recipe was listed, so again I said.. everyone with me.. on two! One.. two.. FAKK IT! I looked to see what I had in the fridge.. took out a small bottle of peach preserves that was only 1/2 full, a lime begging to be put out of it's misery and a bottle of rice wine vinegar. So I whipped up a peachy-lime vinaigrette for dipping and it totally KICKED ASS with the savory dumplings. :)

So there you have it.. a lil late, but still mucho delicioso!

Potstickers?

Big hugs to all of our amazing Daring Cooks! I can't wait to see whatcha'll do next month!

DOH! I wanted to add a link back to Jen's blog so ya'll can get the recipe and see her gorgeous photos! Here's her most recent post for The Daring Cooks - Chinese Potstickers and the original post she did back in 2007.

xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Squeeeee! Even if it's the last minute!"

 

Blogger Amy I. said ... (6/14/2009 9:16 PM) : 

Your little dumpling purses are adorable... I'm kinda jealous that I didn't think to try that. Either way, YUM!!

 

Blogger Audax said ... (6/14/2009 9:17 PM) : 

Always love your postings and your totally honest comments and opines - yes the pleating can take many 100's of examples to make them look pretty and not a streamer full of illnesses. Love your little volcanoes of yummmminess. Wonderous pixs and I always enjoy the spirit you put into the challenge, Cheers. P.S. Most excellent dipping sauce will try it soon.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (6/14/2009 9:40 PM) : 

I love the purses and the idea of your sauce! Now Hubs, go give the lady a back rub!

 

Blogger Margie said ... (6/14/2009 10:13 PM) : 

I feel your back pain. And I'm relieved to learn that I'm not the only one who struggled with the folding. Although your purses are fab! Your dipping sauce is unique and sounds delish.

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (6/14/2009 10:42 PM) : 

Once again, you cracked me up, and your little purse dumplings are darling! Not to mention the sauce sounds drooly. Wanna open the bistro wit' me?

*hugs and xoxox*

 

Anonymous isa said ... (6/14/2009 11:04 PM) : 

Love your post! And your litle purse dumplings are so cute!

 

Blogger Heather B said ... (6/14/2009 11:21 PM) : 

I think the little purses are perfect! Who needs pleats anyway? lol. Great job!

 

Blogger Michele said ... (6/14/2009 11:41 PM) : 

I so wish I would have shaped mine as you did! I fought with mine and ended up getting frustrated.

Your potstickers look awesome!

 

Blogger Kristine said ... (6/14/2009 11:57 PM) : 

So glad you could fit some carbs into your healing process! I love your peach/lime dipping sauce idea. I made some peach jam today that didn't quite.....jam. So there's going to be lots of peach sauce/dressing/topping creations in my future. Thanks for the inspiration! Kristine

 

Anonymous Isolated Foodie said ... (6/15/2009 12:03 AM) : 

Great post! I, too, had trouble pleating the different sides of the dumplings, but it was the first side that always looked a bit wonky for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/15/2009 1:15 AM) : 

Terribly entertaining as usual, Lis! Your photo & comments is hilarious! Your dipping sauce sounds kick butt! Sometimes flying by the seat of your pants is the best way to go!

 

Blogger Jen Yu said ... (6/15/2009 1:17 AM) : 

Honey, are you amazing or are you AMAZING? I think the latter... okay, and some of the former :) I just love how YOU rawked this and everything you do. Thanks for putting up with my hosting and thanks for being one of the two goddesses of the Daringest of Kitchens :) xxoo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/15/2009 4:31 AM) : 

Nice last minute save.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/15/2009 8:29 AM) : 

Great post! Who needs perfect pleats?

 

Blogger alana said ... (6/15/2009 8:47 AM) : 

I think your pleats are just perfect...I just tried to get those little things closed in any way I could. And your sauce is so daring...

 

Blogger Laura said ... (6/15/2009 9:11 AM) : 

Your post made me giggle. :) Especially the comments on the picture. I had some flesh wounds that looked much worse the first time I tried this! You did a great job!

 

Blogger Andrea Meyers said ... (6/15/2009 9:23 AM) : 

I think your little purses look great! I probably should have done that since I can't pleat to save my life.

 

Anonymous veron said ... (6/15/2009 9:51 AM) : 

Oh, I've always wanted to make dumplings again. Last time I made them the hubby got creative with his pleats and joined two potstickers together, my friend and I banned him from making pot stickers in the future. We always make a big batch, gather some friends together and chat while pleating. :) You can always freeze them too.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (6/15/2009 10:49 AM) : 

Yum! Your dumplings look awesome =D. I love the purses the best!!

 

Blogger Mary said ... (6/15/2009 11:05 AM) : 

Your dumplings look delicious!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6/15/2009 11:11 AM) : 

Your dumpling 'purses' look so cute! Great job, looks delicious!

 

Blogger Rose said ... (6/15/2009 11:46 AM) : 

Looks great! Purses, potstickers, who cares as long as they stay shut!!!!

Hope you got your back rub =)

 

Blogger Barbara Bakes said ... (6/15/2009 3:45 PM) : 

I love your elegant little purses! Your dipping sauces sounds like a perfect match!

 

Blogger Mary Bergfeld said ... (6/15/2009 4:51 PM) : 

For one working under time constraints you did a wonderful job. Kudos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/16/2009 11:18 AM) : 

Beautiful dumpling purses! Yummy!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (6/16/2009 12:34 PM) : 

Your FAKK IT! totally rocks!
I have enough folds on my thighs who needs them on potstickers. Love your purses, filling and dip!

 

Blogger BC said ... (6/16/2009 12:40 PM) : 

Your dumplings look great - mine morphed into blobs with tofu for a filling. Tofu! Good grief, what was I thinking?

This one was fun wasn't it?

 

Blogger Lori said ... (6/17/2009 8:26 AM) : 

Your so silly- they look awesome Lis. They really are adorable.

Your funniness/humor always comes through in your posts. Always a joy to read.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (6/17/2009 2:34 PM) : 

The purse little dumplings look totally cute...who needs boat shaped ones anyway? Love the dipping sauce flavors! Hope you got that back rub! Lots of standing making these yummy babies.

 

Blogger Danielle said ... (6/17/2009 8:26 PM) : 

That dipping sauce sounds awesome! I'll have to try that!

 

Blogger ice tea: sugar high said ... (6/17/2009 10:35 PM) : 

Those looks absolutely fine. Love the little purses and your dipping sauce too. All sounds soo delish!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (6/18/2009 10:43 PM) : 

You did a smashing job on these my dear! See, it only took you on try and one doing to make them perfect:)

 

Blogger Faery said ... (6/21/2009 9:46 PM) : 

Short post but really good post and the pots... dumplings are beautiful and look yummy the dressing sounds really interesting :)

 

post a comment