Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Girls' Game Day Funfest

I originally wrote this back on May 5th and can't figure out why I didn't post this.. I just realized today when I came to post about the 2nd Girls' Game Day Funfest, or if you will.. Girls' Game Day Funfest II ;)

It was a grand day.. I finally got my arse outta the house and went to visit two of my closest girlie friends, Mindy & Cindy (and no, they aren't twins). I haven't seen Cindy in probably close to a year and although Mindy and I get together for dinners at each other's homes more often, the men tag along so we can't properly gossip. I hate when that happens. But many, many years ago.. wayyyyyyyyyyyy before Hubbs and wayyyyyyyyy before Mindy's daughter and Cindy's son were born, we would hold a game day every Sunday. Much fun was had by all, and by fun I mean alcohol. We played all kinds of games. Quarter Bounce, Chandeliers, Ace Two Three, Asshole, etc. Yep.. good times, good times. Well.. unfortunately, we all grew up. Some of us got married, some had kids, others decided it was high time to get a career going.. blah blah. So the Girls' Game Day Funfest kinda fizzled out. *sigh*

Well when Cindy and her son got themselves a brand new home, we decided it was high time to start up game day again. The "Gawd we got old & boring" game day, that is. Which means, we've substituted food for the alcohol. I admit, I was wondering if we could match the fun we had way back when and was a little anxious on my drive out to Cin's new house. But soon after arriving, I knew we were going to have just as much fun as we did back then.. water bottles and diet pepsi be damned! Turns out.. it really wasn't the buzz that made it so fun.. it was the gathering of good friends who really enjoy being with each other that is the ticket :)

All three of us made a couple snackers to munch on. Mindy made this fantastic guacamole dip that knocked my socks off, even though it looked like something she found in a diaper. (ugh) I've never had guacamole before - I'm very glad Min's was the first I tried! She's going to send me the recipe so I can post it, although there won't be a picture because I forgot to snap one while there. Which, really? Might not be a bad thing. hehee Cindy made tomato & garlic bruschetta and soft pretzels.. yum!! I made Party Stuffed Pinwheels and Stuffed Mission Figs Wrapped in Prosciutto.. lusciously delightful :D We munched and got to gossip for the first couple hours and then we played several games of Scene-It. I had a blast even though my arse smarts after getting it beat repeatedly. =)

We decided we were going to do this once a month and try to get a few of the other gals we use to play with to join us. I'm so looking forward to the next new and improved Girls' Game Day Funfest! And what a bonus - no hangover the next day!

5-6-06 (1)
Mascarpone Stuffed Mission Figs wrapped in Prosciutto

I got this idea from Ivonne when she blogged about stuffing dates with mascarpone. Sounded delish, but I could not find one damn date (not even the dried kind) in both stores I went to. So I thought figs would be good.. again, no luck in the fresh fig hunt, but I did find dried mission figs. The sweetness of the figs paired with the saltiness of the Prosciutto was heavenly. Add the creaminess of the mascarpone and you've got a really wonderful little snacker.

1 bag of SunMaid dried Mission figs
1 pkg. (8 oz.) mascarpone cheese
1/4 to 1/2 lb. very thinly sliced Prosciutto DiParma

Slice each fig down the middle but don't slice completely in half. Stuff with about 1 tsp. of the mascarpone cheese and then wrap each fig in a slice of Prosciutto.

5-6-06
Party Stuffed Pinwheels

I found this recipe in my "Favorite Brand Name 100 Best Appetizer Recipes" book. This cookbook is relatively disappointing. There really isn't anything in it that you haven't seen a million times in other publications or on the net. But these pinwheels sounded kinda good and I had the ingredients on hand so I made them. These were quick and easy to make and with my addition of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, they were quite a smash with the gals.

1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets savory herb with garlic or Onion soup mix (I used Onion)
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
2 TBS. milk
1 TBS. grated parmesan cheese
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) refrigerated pizza crust
6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (my addition - this is optional, of course)

Preheat oven to 425ยบ F. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except pizza crusts; set aside.

Unroll pizza crusts, then top evenly with filling. Roll, starting at longest side, jelly-roll style. Cut into 32 rounds. I found that freezing the rolls for about 1 hour made cutting them so much easier.

On baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, arrange rolls about 1 inch apart. Bake, uncovered, 13 minutes or until golden brown.

Although they are very good on their own, I decided to serve them with a small bowl of my marinara for dipping.

*Note: I did post Mindy's guacamole dip for WCC #5, which you can read about here

Labels:

Comments on "Girls' Game Day Funfest"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/04/2006 7:34 PM) : 

Wow, Lisa!

Can I be invitecd to the next Girls' Party???!!!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/05/2006 6:11 AM) : 

We would be delighted to have you, Ivonne!! I'll let you know the date as soon as they tell me so you can get that plane ticket! teeee! =)

 

post a comment