Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Taco'd Corncakes

He's FINALLY on his way home! Yay! Hubbs left Arkansas yesterday and by 10:30 last night he was just passing Memphis. So today ends my 3 month bachelorette party. teeee! Well considering bachelorette parties consist of lots of alcohol and male strippers, I guess mine failed miserably. Maybe I should refer to these past 3 months as my Cook Like a Mad Woman party? I'm so glad he's finally going to be home, I really did miss him tremendously. And wow.. his "honey-do" list is like 4 pages long. I look at it as showing him how much he's really appreciated. lol

So for my final meal for one I was feeling a lil creative, but not very energetic. I wanted something different but nothing that was going to take me 2 hours to prepare. I was feeling a lil saucy.. a lil south of the border, if you will. I went searching through my pantry to see what I had that was quick to make and discovered a package of Chi Chi's Corncake mix that I had bought a month or so ago. For those of you not familiar, Chi Chi's was a mexican chain restaurant that was hugely popular before they served tainted onions that, I believe, killed someone. They soon went bankrupt and they all closed up. Chi Chi's was popular for their chips and salsa and their corncake, which is basically cornbread but made with creamed corn to create a more moist and dense "cake". They were delicious and served as a side dish to their entrees.

After reading the ingredients on the package, I was quite happy to see that it was basically a little bag of cornmeal with some baking soda and baking powder added to the mix. You add water, melted butter and a can of creamed corn. So I'll definitely try to make my own next time, which is good because I have a boatload of cornmeal I bought for a recipe of polenta I tried a few weeks back.

As for the Taco'd part.. well I cheated there as well. I'd love to say that I got out my cumin and chili powder, but no. I opened up a lil package of Taco Bell taco seasoning. And there you have it.. my two main components to last night's dinner.

It was pretty good. The corncakes turned out just as I remember them, although Chi Chi's served them scooped in two little heaps on the sides of their plates, the mix called for baking it in a loaf pan and it doesn't rise too much so scooping could have been a lil difficult. I opted to cut mine out with a lil star cookie cutter cuz aww isn't that just so cute? Mmm Hmm. The meat was okay. Definitely, next time, I will use my own seasonings. Taco Bell seasoning is fine for well.. tacos. But with the corncake base, I feel the cumin and chili powder probably would have worked better. Toppings were your basic taco toppings.. salsa, cheese, green onions, black olives and a lil sour cream on top. Was very filling, I couldn't come close to finishing. But for a quickie dinner that is practically effortless, this is a keeper.

Taco'd Corn Cakes
Taco'd Corncakes

1 pkg. Chi-Chi's corncake mix
1/4 c. melted butter
1/4 c. water
1 (15 oz.) can creamed corn
1 1/2 lbs. ground round
1 pgk. Taco Bell taco mix
2/3 c. water
Shredded cheese (I used a Mexican four cheese blend)
1 green onion, sliced thin
Salsa to taste
Sliced black olives
Sour cream to taste

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Prepare the corncake mix as directed and bake for 40-45 minutes.

Brown the ground round, discarding the grease. Mix in the taco seasoning and water.

Plate the corn cake and pile on the taco meat and toppings. Dig in!

Not so much as a recipe as a blogger space filler, eh? teeeee!

Taco'd Corn Cakes II

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Taco'd Corncakes"

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (6/06/2006 8:44 AM) : 

I love stuff like this. But then, what's not to love: beef, sour cream, corn bread, butter, cheese. And I don't feel guilty about that either; we're evolutionarily designed to go after fatty goodness. It's nature's way.

Thank you Lis, for getting in touch with nature.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/06/2006 9:16 AM) : 

HA! Another reason why I heart you, LR - you just justified my extremely unhealthy dinner last night. Now, can you figure out a way to make my thighs believe it as well?

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/06/2006 11:18 AM) : 

Anybody who pretends that they don't have a recipe arsenal of quick, easy and tasty recipes (QETRs) hidden behind a secret panel of their bookcase which is covered by their copy of Larousse Gastronomique is lying through their caps. This sounds tasty. Unfortunately, Ed doesn't care for corn meal, polenta, masa, etc, so I think he'd freak over the corn cake. I'll secretly enjoy this some night when he's out of town on business.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/06/2006 6:32 PM) : 

P.S. I hope this doesn't mean that you'll be blogging less!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/07/2006 5:49 AM) : 

Kevin, once again you start my morning off with giggles! And no, I shouldn't be blogging much less as I always have my mornings to myself. I get up at the crack of dawn and he sleeps in for an extra hour or two. The only thing that might cause my posts to slow a lil bit within the next week or so is I'll probably be cooking up some of his favorites which I've already blogged about. But I'm sure I'll find something to rant and rave about in those cases. And thank you.. what a nice feeling it was to see you ask that :D

 

post a comment