Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Pretzels and a Cream Puff!

So one day I was talking with a friend through e-mail about baked goods, after I had left a comment on her blog, and I asked her if she'd ever (or was going to in her baking classes) made pretzels before. She hadn't, but she wanted to try them. So I suggested we find a recipe and each make a batch and then post about them on our blogs the same day. That friend is Ivonne. You might have heard of her? She's that extremely sweet and talented writer, baker and chef behind that lil blog some of you might be familiar with, Cream Puffs in Venice? Yeah.. that's the one!!

I was very excited about the prospect and off I went in search of a good pretzel recipe. Ivonne did the same and after we got back to each other with what we'd found, we both agreed to make the recipe from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion and we set a date of November 19th to try it.

It's the 19th! We've both made our pretzels and now it's time to share with our friends. I haven't seen Ivonne's post yet, but from what we've discussed through e-mail it sounds as if we had different experiences, so say the least. As I was telling her, mine worked out beautifully from the start all the way up to the opening of the oven door after baking time was up. It was only then that I thought maybe something went wrong. My finished pretzels ended up looking like pretzel shaped dinner rolls. And they had that kind of taste as well. More bready than pretzely (it's my new word). They were good, especially after the butter soaked in.. but they weren't what I was hoping for. Now Ivonne said her's turned out the complete opposite where her dough didn't rise much and they were very pretzely. So go figger. I can't wait to see hers!

Here's mine along with the recipe. These were super easy to make and had my dear Hubbs allowed me to have just one more minute with them, I was planning on making a few with cinnamon/sugar - but he didn't give me that chance. I actually got 9 (yes some where bigger than others) pretzels out of my batch, there are 2 left. I had one. I'm grateful for that. I'm also grateful I still have my fingers. I'd say he liked them! =)

Unbaked Pretzels Best one!
All twisty and ready to go in!

Best one baked! ha!

Baked!

baked
They are pretty aren't they? But where are the holes?? hahaa =)

You can find the recipe here and also at Ivonne's
(Her pretzels are GORGEOUS! Well done, my friend! Well done! =))

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Pretzels and a Cream Puff!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/20/2006 12:59 AM) : 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! They are sooooo cute! So cute!

I think they look adorable and I love how much they rose! (I wonder if my yeast was old???) And I especially love the fact that you took pics all the way through. I was a bit too lazy!

This was so much fun! We must do it again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/20/2006 1:25 AM) : 

They are both different but they are both equally yummy! I'll get a dozen of each!
It was a lazy day so I just stuck to "no knead bread", which you should try it is that good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/20/2006 1:35 AM) : 

Like I told Ivonne, I wish I would have known, I would have made pretzels too.
Who needs holes in pretzels anyway?

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/20/2006 6:29 AM) : 

Ivonne - thank you - I love the double twist of yours! I can't wait for December!!! :D

Helene - I've been reading about it everywhere and I almost made it this weekend. I've only got a 3 qt. pyrex casserole dish - do you think that would be big enough?

peabody - We're discussing what we're going to make in December - could be panettone or biscotti - will you join us then, please? :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/20/2006 10:13 AM) : 

Great bretzels... I tried them for the first time in Switzerland-German part and loved them, especially the soft ones.
Ciao.

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (11/20/2006 10:46 AM) : 

Those look SO good! I can only imagine what they'd be like with sugar and cinnamon too...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/20/2006 3:48 PM) : 

I love the idea of testing recipes and posting it! Your pretzels looks great as did Ivonne's, so I guess this recipe is a keeper :)!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (11/20/2006 4:11 PM) : 

Oh dear Lord--I am such a fan of warm, soft pretzels! If I had been there your "Hubbs" would have had a fight on his hand. You said he was having back problems, right? I'm sure I could take him...

 

Blogger Sara said ... (11/20/2006 5:41 PM) : 

They look just as wonderful as Ivonne's do and I bet they taste super.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/20/2006 6:42 PM) : 

I can do either of those Lis.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/20/2006 7:43 PM) : 

Orchidea - yes there is nothing better than a good bavarian soft pretzel - yum! Since pretzel making is so easy - I'm going to try to find a genuine bavarian recipe and make these again =)

Brilynn - I think these chubby ones would have been divine with cinnamon/sugar - if only I could have gotten to them in time!

Monisha - Me too!

Kevin - I'll make another batch and put them between yas - then stand back quickly. heee!

Sara - aww thank you! :D

Peabody - I'll e-mail you as soon as I know what we're making. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/28/2007 3:28 PM) : 

Nice! The recipe I've used for making pretzels calls for poaching them in simmering water with baking soda, rather than a baking soda wash. Mine didn't look nearly as shiny!

 

Blogger LadyConcierge said ... (4/16/2008 4:34 PM) : 

At first glance, I thought these were twisty croissants! Yum.

 

Blogger Lori said ... (5/16/2008 7:00 AM) : 

I just want to chomp on them forget about the holes. My stomach will not be looking for holes, he he

 

post a comment