Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, March 16, 2007

Taco Rolls!

When catching up on my favorite blogs, one of my favorite Italian ladies went Mexican and made up some tacos.. tacos and burritos are pretty common in this household but after seeing those pictures, I was crazy-mad craving them.

So the next day I said to myself that this would be a taco night!! And then I realized I had no taco shells. *sigh* No tortillas either. *double sigh* What's a gal to do? Well she spots her package of egg roll wrappers and gets the brilliant idea to do this! Wooo!

Taco Rolls

And so the birth of the Taco Roll (don't mind my messy stove in the background :P). High in calories and fat! Mouthwater parcels of spicy, cheesy goodness! Easy to dip into salsa and sour cream to up the fat and calorie count! WOOO!! 'kay.. seriously, I'm serious. They were delish. No foolin'.. the eggroll wrapper was crispy and chewy. The filling was hot and melty and spicy and yum. But the fat/calorie levels were off the chart.

So once again, I'm posting a recipe (or idea) that needs some major tweaking to fit the lifestyle that I'd like to achieve one day when I'm not starving after work therefore causing my brain to only think of food in my bell-aye right now! But rather, food in my bell-aye after careful consideration of proper preparation! And so, I give to you my careful thoughts regarding how to make this sinful dinner a lil more heart healthy and nutritious.

Firstly, I'd use ground chicken/turkey instead of the cow I used. I'd use fat free cheese - because fat free cheese is actually pretty tasty when it's melted over something spicy like taco seasoned meat. I wanted to add corn to the filling, like Orchidea did, but we had no damn corn in the house - so next time.. corn. I'd also like to try a veggie version of this, substituing refried beans for the meat (even though I hate refried beans, I'm thinking they'd be tasty in these lil guys). And lastly, but not leastly (hee!) I'd bake these suckers instead of giving them the hot oil treatment.

Another cool variation of these, would be to wrap wonton wrappers over a smaller portion of filling and bake (or deep fry if you live dangerously) for a tasty snacker/appetizer.

Taco Rolls

I served mine with light sour cream (Daisy brand.. their light version tastes just like their full fat version) and hot & mild salsa - the chunky kind. I think an enchilada sauce spooned over them would be quite delish as well.. kind of like at home chimichangas only made with eggroll wrappers!

Lisa's Taco Rolls - the full fat version.

1 lb. ground round - browned
1 packet of taco seasoning or 1 tablespoon each of cumin and chile powder + a lil salt and pepper to taste
1 c. shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
1 sm. can of sliced black olives
3 green onions (plus 1 for sprinkling), sliced thin
12 eggroll wrappers
4-5 cups vegetable or canola oil

Brown your ground meat in a skillet and then either follow the taco seasoning packet directions, or mix in the cumin and chile powder. You can then add your olives and green onions, or set them aside to sprinkle on the meat in the eggroll wrapper - whichever you prefer.

The best way to prepare these is to have all of your ingredients set out in front of you so you can assemble them easily.

Slightly lower than the middle of the eggroll wrapper, place 2 TBS. of the ground meat, spreading it to about 1/2 inch from the sides. Sprinkle over the meat, some grated cheese, olives and green onions (if you haven't already mixed them in with the meat). Taking the bottom of the eggroll wrapper, bring it up and over the filling and then fold in each side of the wrapper. Then roll until you've reached the top of the wrapper, lightly moisten the top of the wrapper and press together so it seals. Set each roll aside, but keep under a damp cloth so that the wrapper doesn't dry out. Continue on until you've used all your fillings.

At this point they can be frozen or kept in the fridge for a few hours or over night as long as a damp towel/cloth is kept over them.

When ready to eat, heat oil in deep fryer or at least a 6 quart stock pot until it reaches 350º

Gently place 2-3 taco rolls into the hot oil and fry until they turn golden brown on one side, then flip them over to fry the other side. Drain well and set on a cookie rack that's placed over a jelly roll sheet that's been lined with newspaper, brown bag paper or paper towels. You probably don't want to place them directly on paper towels as they are still pretty greasy and it'd be icky to have them sit in grease while you are finishing up your batch of delicious taco rolls, wouldn't it?

Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.. or guacamole! or Holy Mother Of All That Is Artery Clogging.. nacho cheese sauce!! Oh my...

My Notes: As stated above.. do your arteries a favor and don't follow my instructions.. bake these babies in a 350º oven (if fresh) or 425º (if frozen) for, I'd say maybe 8-10 minutes on one side, then flip for an additional 5-8 minutes? Or until they are goldeny brown and delicious.

Also.. I absolutely know if you were to prepare these with the ground chicken/turkey, fat free cheese and the cumin/chile powder/salt & pepper seasonings you'd drastically cut back on fat & calories as well as sodium.

Enjoy!

Taco Rolls

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Taco Rolls!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 7:42 AM) : 

Holy hell! I think I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at those pictures, but dangit if my tastebuds don't care! Nice way to work a craving with what's stocked in the pantry :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 8:32 AM) : 

Oh sweet gods of culinary decadence! I'm hiding this recipe away and making it for my wife next week!

Though I must say that I hate you just a little bit right now because I'm very suddenly starving.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (3/16/2007 9:11 AM) : 

Ha HA! I just got done reading an article about healthy snacking and decided to come on over to see what my dear buddy Lisa was up to. Holy Moly! I should have stayed away. You make me crave for all these fattening goodies. But your less fattening version also sounds great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 9:25 AM) : 

You have done a good thing making a full-fat version. I believe the Taco Gods would be proud :)

Seriously, this looks WONDERFUL. As a worshipping household of Tex-Mex, I cannot wait to give these a try!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 9:53 AM) : 

oh Lis...your taco rolls look wicked, I'd like to just munch one down and think about all the calories and stuff some other day.

 

Blogger tammy said ... (3/16/2007 9:53 AM) : 

Um, I kinda like your version.

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (3/16/2007 9:59 AM) : 

Once again, Lis: you are an evil culinary genius.

 

Blogger Freya said ... (3/16/2007 10:05 AM) : 

I'd go full out full fat I think, these look great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 10:51 AM) : 

I would go full fat for these, I just love Mexican food and I just know that the local little Mexican place I visit goes full fat, I just don't think about it for those times! Your rolls and idea looks awesome!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (3/16/2007 1:08 PM) : 

Lis you're genius! And my hero for knowing how to deep fry things.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (3/16/2007 4:56 PM) : 

I will totally, totally, totally, try a baked version of these. It's a great idea for a quick casual dinner! Not that those fried versions don't toally float my boat! :) Happy Friday.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (3/16/2007 5:12 PM) : 

I guess this is East meets South huh? I love egg rolls, I love tacos, these look great. Sounds like most of us would prefer these deep fried with love- sigh.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (3/16/2007 6:04 PM) : 

That looks so good! Fortunately I don't deep fry, and I made taco's last night too, so I'm saved from running off to the kitchen right now to make some!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 9:14 PM) : 

Okay I really have to stop reading blogs at night because now I'm starving! These look incredible, Lisa!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/16/2007 11:03 PM) : 

I was 100% stuffed from dinner and now you have me craving Mexican food!
I love the little happy face in your sour cream ;)

 

Blogger Orchidea said ... (3/17/2007 9:40 AM) : 

Thanks for mentioning me... I just love your version of tacos and I want to try them soon!
Ciao.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (3/17/2007 5:17 PM) : 

Lis, I have never had tacos and yours made drooooooool! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/17/2007 8:06 PM) : 

Hmnn, yum! I heart those taco rolls! You know sometimes you just have to experience food the way it should be serve. Full fat version and all.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (3/17/2007 9:59 PM) : 

I think I need some egg roll wrappers. We just grilled chicken tonight. Taco Rolls would be a perfect use for the left overs. I'll try for lower fat but I think either way they'll be plenty tasty!

 

Blogger Christine said ... (3/18/2007 6:17 AM) : 

Very creative, very naughty, but no doubt very, very tasty. Keep the yumminess coming!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/18/2007 9:36 AM) : 

Ellie - hehe thanks! And yes, I heard my arteries hardening while I was munchin'. hehee!

Jerry - I can't wait to see your spin on it!

Meeta sweetie - lol yeah leave it to me to be a bad influence on everyone hahahaa!

Shawnda - I hope you like them - I look forward to seeing your version :D

Tammy - it all goes back to, "In the food, that I like much, there is much heavy." har!

LR - Why thank you. I need to get a T-shirt I think.

Monisha - That's the spirit! Think about the baddies another day. lol

Freya - A girl after my own heart. =)

Laurie - Thanks! We went for Mexican Friday night (an actual date night! Woo!) and between the guacamole, cheeses and sour cream.. I didn't think mine turned out as bad. lol

Bril - One day, you too, shall overcome the deep fry demon.

Kev - I would seriously, really, really love to see your version of the baked kind.. please?!?!

Callipygia - hehe yeah, I think that lil devil on our shoulder speaks a bit more loudly than that angel at times, eh?

Jenny - try the baked next time!

Ivonne - I did the late night blog thing last night myself, so I totally understand how hungry you get. lol

Kristen! I didn't even realize there was a happy face! You crack me up! :D

Orchidea - my pleasure - this was all thanks to your delish looking tacos.. Mmmmm =)

Patricia - How can this be?? You must try a taco.. You could sub the meat for beans and it'd be delish =)

Veron - I couldn't agree more.. I just wish "sometimes" wouldn't come so damn often for me. lol

Tanna - Ohh chicken tacos would be wonderful!

Christine - I'll try! hehee

 

Blogger barb said ... (3/18/2007 10:32 AM) : 

a little late to this mexican feast - however never to late to say - how very clever of you and I indeed would try the baked version.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (3/18/2007 11:55 AM) : 

Lisa: your doctor is on the phone....!
Joke aside, I would eat a dozen of those in a heartbeat....my gosh, if we were neighbors...!!

 

Blogger Morven said ... (3/18/2007 6:46 PM) : 

I'm drooling over these. I never fry at home (a non stick pan with cooking spray does not a fried food make)so I think I'll give your healthy version a try.

 

Blogger Heather said ... (3/19/2007 3:16 PM) : 

I think someone is going to have to stop me from running to the store to get wonton wrappers. I have never thought of this before. Probably because I have never used wonton wrappers before.
I will however be trying this very soon. And I will use the artery and belly fat saving tips.
Thanks!

 

Blogger jasmine said ... (3/19/2007 9:27 PM) : 

Oh these look amazing!

j

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/21/2007 12:06 PM) : 

If you're going to go Mexican-style, fat and calories be damned! These look amazing and totally innovative. I'll have to give it a try.

 

post a comment