Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, March 01, 2007

WCC No. 14 - Salad

My father made this salad often during his life. He loved to fish and nothing made him happier than (other than, you know, his beautiful eldest daughter) catching his limit of Lake Erie Perch. He wasn't very imaginative when it came to preparing it though - fried was usually the way to go. Well one day he decided to broil the lightly seasoned filets and then throw them into a bowl with his favorite salad mixin's - he scored big that day..

Fish Salad

There really is no recipe here - it's something that YOU make with what you like. Any mild white fish would do - simply season it with a lil salt, pepper and paprika. I like to melt a couple tablespoons of butter and brush over the filets as well. (Imagine that) And while your fish is broiling, make a big bowl of your favorite salad. I have to confess though, I've never had this type of salad with greens.. mostly it's just tomatoes and onions (I had a bunch of baby seedless cucumbers I wanted to use up this time) and peppers - dressed simply in a sprinkle of garlic salt and an emulsion of balsamic vinegar and canola oil. Mix your salad well and let it sit for a few minutes. Once the fish is done allow it to cool for a few minutes and then flake it before throwing it into the salad - give it all a mix and you've got dinner, friends. =)

These are the kinds of meals my father made that I truly enjoyed.. simple ingredients without too much fuss in the process. Delicious.

Fish Salad

I think this is a nice submission for this month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge - No. 14 Salads! This month Sara's event is being hosted by the lovely Tami of Running with Tweezers. Submissions are due by March 5th - so get 'em in to her for the big round up! As always - thanks so much for this fun event, Sara! And thank you, Tami, for hosting and picking a great theme! =)

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "WCC No. 14 - Salad"

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (3/01/2007 7:33 AM) : 

Lis,

I love fish and I love salad, therefore I love your recipe. ;)

I didn't know about this event, I think I'll take part it it!

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (3/01/2007 7:50 AM) : 

This type of salad I'd truely enjoy too!
Beautiful colors!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/01/2007 8:55 AM) : 

What a beautiful and colourful salad! And those little chunks of seedless cucumber are so adorable - they look so small that I want to cuddle them! Well, cuddle them right before devouring them anyway ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/01/2007 11:21 AM) : 

This recipe looks very interesting, my husband really likes perch, I will definitely have to try this.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (3/01/2007 11:24 AM) : 

When ever we have fish, I love having leftover for just this kind of salad.
Your father was a very wise man.

 

Blogger janelle said ... (3/01/2007 12:23 PM) : 

I love non-recipe recipes! Cheers!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (3/01/2007 6:52 PM) : 

What a great and unusual salad to contribute. I never even heard of anything like this before.

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (3/01/2007 9:45 PM) : 

What a vibrant salad! It's a great entry!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/02/2007 6:12 AM) : 

Great idea for a salad! I'd love to try this with all sorts of fish...

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/02/2007 7:41 AM) : 

Patricia - I hope you do! It's a great monthly event =)

Gattina - Thanks sweetie =)

Ellie muh luv - hehee they are my favorite lil cucumber of all time.

Laurie - It makes a great quick dinner =)

Tanna - Isn't it fabulous?! I'm tickled that you make this as well =)

Janelle - Me too! Thanks!

Peabody - Thanks =) Yes, actually until Tanna said she makes it too, I never thought anyone but my father ate a salad like this.

Susan - Thank you muchly! =)

Joey - Oh yeah.. I'm sure other fish would be terrific in this salad. :D

 

Blogger Freya said ... (3/02/2007 11:25 AM) : 

Lis, this salad looks so good!

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (3/09/2007 1:31 AM) : 

This looks fabulous -- proving that sometimes non-recipes are the BEST recipes!

 

post a comment