Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, November 16, 2007

Gracie Hassa House!

And Lisee is blogging twice in one week! Mark your calendars, kids. ;)

So since I live allllll the way on the other side of the country from my lil Gracie, I can't attend her house warming party. *sniff* Actually, a lot of Gracie's blogging friends don't live near enough to go make a personal visit, so she came up with a perfect idea - a virtual house warming party! Everyone is invited to go check out her new digs and everyone is bringing a dish. Now that's my kinda party. :D

As soon as I read her invitation, I knew exactly what I was bringing. I have made this dish several times now and I can tell you with 100% honesty, if you see that I've made it you better get yourself some ASAP because I have a HUGE problem with sharing this stuff. I made it for my birthday party last week and I begrudgingly allowed my guests to take small slices home. And then I finished the leftovers (little more than 1/4 pan) THE NEXT DAY. I shite you not. *slurp*

and *burp* ('scuse me)

What dish am I talking about? Baked Spaghetti people!

I found this recipe on Recipezaar and chose it because there was cream of mushroom soup in it. *gasp!* I know you are saying, "Cream of mushroom soup??? WTF??" Well, I've made many baked spaghetti dinners in the past, including a recipe that came from the mother of my babies (I wish), The Queen of Butter Guzzlin', Paula Deen. And her version doesn't come close to this. Forgive me, Paula!!

Well here.. look:

Spaghetti Pie

Didn't I tell you?? Can you see the layers? Can you see the ooey gooey cheese? Can you JUST IMAGINE this with a garden salad and a nice garlic roll? I've left napkins on the table to your left - I'll wait while you mop up that drool runnin' down your chins. Helene honey? Take 2. =)

Spaghetti Pie

Super easy to put together, it makes a lot and it's as delish the next day (if not better) than the night you serve it. It's the perfect potluck dish and I can not recommend it highly enough. Try to look past the mushroom soup if it squicks you or makes your blood pressure soar with the amount of sodium in it.. buy the fat free/low sodium kind if you must, but don't leave it out.

Below is the recipe with my changes. If you'd like to make it as it's written on Recipezaar, go here.

Spaghetti Pie
Baked Spaghetti

Serves 10
(9 people served themselves some big portions and some went back for seconds and I still had a little more than 1/4 of a 9" x 13" left over.)

1/2 c. chopped onions
1 c. chopped green peppers
1 TBS. olive oil
2 to 3 c. of your favorite marinara sauce
1 (4 oz.) can mushroom slices
1 (2 oz.) can sliced ripe olives
2 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 lb. ground beef, brown and drain
1 lb. spaghetti, cooked al dente (You'll be baking it too, so don't boil for too long) and drained
1 wedge (1/2 lb.?) of Fontina cheese, sliced (Italian Fontina, it's semi-soft and melts perfectly.)
Or any other good melting cheese - mozzarella would certainly be just as good.
1 (10 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup (using fat free or low sodium would be fine)
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. grated Pecorino Romano or Asiago

Preheat oven to 350º F.

In a large skillet, saute the onion and green pepper in olive oil until soft, then add the ground beef and cook until browned. Add mushrooms, olives, oregano and enough marinara to coat it all. You want it saucy, but not swimming in marinara.

Simmer for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine 1 - 1/2 c. of marinara with the al dente spaghetti - again, you want enough sauce to coat it, but not so much that the spaghetti is swimming in it.

Place half of the sauced spaghetti in a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan (I use Mazola cooking spray). Top with half the meatsauce. Layer half of the sliced Fontina over the meatsauce. Repeat layers.

Mix soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Romano cheese.

Bake, covered, at 350º F for 25-30 minutes, until heated through, remove foil and bake another 5 minutes, or until top has started to turn goldeny brown and delicious.

My Notes: Depending on what kind of marinara you use, you might have to season the meatsauce with salt and pepper. I don't need to season with mine so I didn't add S&P to the recipe. I like to serve with a bowl of extra sauce so everyone can spoon extra over the top if they'd like.

Spaghetti Pie

Okay, well I'm off to the party! I'll be the one standing over her dish doling out very thin slices. :P

What will YOU be bringing?

Congrats Gracie! Love you!

xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Gracie Hassa House!"

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (11/16/2007 11:46 AM) : 

If I wasn't already planning on coming to the party, I would come now just for this dish!!

 

Blogger ... said ... (11/16/2007 1:19 PM) : 

Is it possible to have too much 'Baked Spaghetti?' I mean, if you bring it, and then I decide to bring extra... wouldn't everyone WIN!

Seriously, I will more than likely be baking this soon... thanks (as always)

 

Blogger Helene said ... (11/16/2007 3:10 PM) : 

Oh man...finally I get to see the final product...That baked spaghetti looks amazing....I know just like you said....What a great dish to bring along!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (11/16/2007 3:14 PM) : 

As mentionned in your post: I am indeed back for seconds....and because it is winter and I can unbutton my jeans underneath my fleece...well, what the heck?!! I am here for thirds...make my slice bigger will you?! Or I'll hold up the line. And puuuulleeeezzze...stop mentionning my marinara drool!!!

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (11/16/2007 4:19 PM) : 

Looks yummy Lis! I have a baked spag recipe too and to look at it, you wouldn't think it was tasty, but it so is. I think I might incorporate the cream of shroom soup into it and see if it takes it up a notch! Happy belated Bday by the way......

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (11/16/2007 5:21 PM) : 

If I thought there was any chance of leftovers, I'd ask... but in my house there wouldn't be a single bite left! Yum!!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (11/16/2007 9:26 PM) : 

Well, if you won't give me a thick slice I won't be able to give you more than a crumb of my Olive Thyme Ring girl, so just dish me up some more there will ya and we'll still be friends OK?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/16/2007 11:44 PM) : 

Oh wow...this looks like comfort food of the finest kind! Mmmmm!

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (11/17/2007 10:00 AM) : 

Cmon Lis! Give me a bigger slice then that micro-mini thing you are calling a slice. Oh my lookie there Lis - there goes that sexy George Clooney - hehehe!Thanks - I'll return the serving dish when I'm done.Bye!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (11/17/2007 10:29 AM) : 

I made a game and mushroom dish that also requires a can or two of mushroom soup, and I cringe every time I use it, but the final dish is soooo good!

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (11/17/2007 11:43 AM) : 

I've brought dessert, and what a great main course! Yum =)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/18/2007 7:06 AM) : 

Awww Deborah - you get a big slice!

Iisha - Heck no.. it's like jello! There's always room! hehee

Helene - BAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Alison - Yeah, try the soup and then I'd love to know if it improved yours or not. And thanks!

Lydia - haha! That really is the funny part - it makes SO MUCH and if there are leftovers there really isn't much. ha!

Tanna- Yes ma'am.. I will not deny you when there is yummy bread involved. ;)

Kristen - Totally comforting. :)

Meeta - HAHAHAAAA! You so sneaky, girlfriend. ;)

Bri - I know.. Helene and I were talking about people poo-pooing using the soup, because it's not "home made" or because it's chock full of sodium, etc. But the simple truth is.. it does taste good! All in moderation, right? =)

Kelly-Jane - I am all over your dessert! I can't wait to go see!

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/18/2007 6:14 PM) : 

Oh my goodness, sis, this dish just makes my heart stop. Looks fantastic. Cream of mushroom is a great ingredient, I remember my sister in law using it in pot roast.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (11/18/2007 9:31 PM) : 

Wow! ooooohhhweee!!!!! This makes my mouth water. Yum!!!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (11/19/2007 3:12 AM) : 

Belated birthday greetings Lis. I've been away and only just heard. I hope you had a lovely day.

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (11/19/2007 9:30 AM) : 

I'm coming to the party just for this dish!!!!!

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (11/19/2007 3:02 PM) : 

Yanno...I wasn't going to cook dinner tonight after this weekend (my buttz draggin') but my tastebuds are going crazy on this recipe. YUM.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (11/19/2007 8:42 PM) : 

If your husband or mate is not paying you enough attention, run to make this pie...he/she will be all over you...*allright B. get off me, that's enough honey, people are watching!*

 

Blogger Gretchen Noelle said ... (12/09/2007 7:23 AM) : 

What a great twist on lasagna. This I may have to try!

 

Blogger michelle said ... (12/09/2007 11:17 AM) : 

Proof that cream of mushroom soup *does* have a place in the world!

Looks sinfully yummy. I'm making this as soon as it feels like winter again around here! :)

~Michelle

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/03/2009 7:20 PM) : 

Hi Lis,

I hope you still remember me CJ but anyways, I made this bake spaghetti last night dinner and it was really delicious -my twin daughters loves it! it's easy, very convenient and affordable - oh well- whats your next meal????

Congratulations as a newly wed!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9/28/2010 4:13 PM) : 

OMG...OMG This was the Very Best Ever.

 

post a comment