Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, February 18, 2008

A Delicious Discovery

How was everyone's weekend? Good, I hope!

Mine was pretty nice.. the snow started to melt on Saturday morning with temperatures soaring to a whopping 50º F! Now that might not seem very warm to many of you, but for us northeastern Ohioans, that's shorts and flip-flops weather! I was almost tempted to put mine on. ;) Unfortch the wind was blowing around 40 mph so outside time wasn't as pleasant as I'd hoped it would be. Nevertheless, the wind did not take away from what ended up being a great weekend because I got some baking done, I watched a really cute (predictable, but cute - No Reservations) movie, spent some time on the phone with my favorite French baking guru, Ivonne and I received an e-mail from Nick Malgieri (squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!) who is going to be writing an article for the food section of the Washington Post and looks like our Daring Bakers might be mentioned! WOO HOO! And I discovered a fantastic dessert in my research for my latest article at FoodieView, which will be up later today.

Not too shabby of a weekend, eh? :D

So the article at FoodieView is on snow day desserts.. I chose to highlight two of my favorite types of desserts, bread puddings and self-saucing puddings. I could eat both of these types of desserts year round, but they are especially good in the cold Autumn/Winter months. Seriously, what is better than throwin' on the flannel pjs, and getting under your favorite blanket with a bowl of something ooey, gooey, sweet, warm and delicious? It's times like that which make me almost enjoy winter.

I had decided on two self-saucing puddings to highlight, but wanted a third. In my search I found an Apple Caramel Self-Saucing Pudding at Cook Sister which looked amazing. And so right up my alley.. I loves me my apple desserts! I knew I'd be making this in the near future, this would not go into the "to make" pile to be forgotten about down the road. I just didn't know I'd be making it two days later. :) I wanted to include a photo in the FoodieView article, so I wrote to Jeanne, the author of Cook Sister, to ask permission to use her photo. Unfortunately, she hasn't gotten back to me yet - so I decided that for the sake of the article, I really should make it myself so I can photograph it. Right? I mean, it's just good journalism, yes? :P

Apple Caramel Self-Saucing Pudding

Jeanne doesn't say where she got the recipe from, just that the original used dates. She had a taste for cooked apples, so voila! A warm apple cake, that is so moist and flavorful, with a gooey, buttery rich caramel sauce hidden beneath. She described it as "Heaven in a bowl" and I could not agree more. Super easy to make, hardly no time at all in preparation and almost instant gratification when it comes out of of the oven, because you don't want to let this pudding cool off completely. To be honest, the aroma from the oven scenting my whole house in apple-y goodness, had me tuckin' my spoon in while the pudding was still steaming. heeee!

As per usual, I made a couple changes when I prepared mine. I used a Gala apple instead of the Granny Smith she used. I had a pint of heavy cream that was on it's way to a lumpy coagulated death if I did not use it up soon, so I substituted it in lieu of the milk. I added a 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to the batter as well. Once I had the batter mixed together I thought it was a little dry so I ended up using an extra tablespoon of the heavy cream. My love of apples and raisins in desserts has me thinking that the next time I make this, a handful of raisins will be added as well. I was so happy with this dessert that I e-mailed Helene the recipe with a rave review, so she made it herself last night. hahahahaaa! She went with a different variation, so check out her blog in the near future to see how she made hers. :)

Apple Caramel Self-Saucing Pudding
Apple Caramel Self-Saucing Pudding
Courtesy of Jeanne of Cook Sister

Below is my version:

The Pudding:
1 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
20 grams butter, melted
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped

The Sauce:
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups boiling water
60 grams butter

Preheat the oven to 350º F. and grease a 2 quart shallow oven-proof dish. (I used individual ramekins, not sure of their size but I got 4)

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, cream and chopped apple in a large bowl and mix well. Spread the mixture into the prepared dish(s).

For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melted.

Pour the caramel sauce slowly over the back of a spoon over batter in dish. Bake for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven or until firm in the center.

Apple Caramel Self-Saucing Pudding

Serve warm. These were great the next day, warmed up in the microwave for about 30 seconds, there was still plenty of sauce on the bottom. :)

Enjoy!
xoxo

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "A Delicious Discovery"

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (2/18/2008 12:10 PM) : 

Wow that looks really good. We are having one of those weird warm days today too. So tomorrow when it gets cold again that looks like the perfect dessert to serve.

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/18/2008 1:35 PM) : 

Anything apple caramel has got to be good! You'll have everyone making this in no time...

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (2/18/2008 2:20 PM) : 

Right up my alley! I am convinced that caramel is the sweet version of bacon.
I'm getting completely americanized in desserts (my hips too but I choose to ignore them) away with plain yoghurt, bring on the Desserts!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (2/18/2008 3:11 PM) : 

Incredible!
Such a name dropper - Nick Malgieri. Do I know you Lisa.
Karen has it caramel = bacon, oh yea ;)

 

Blogger Chris said ... (2/18/2008 5:23 PM) : 

That is so, so, soo.....lovely! Is anyone looking while I lick the screen? :) ha! Yum!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (2/18/2008 5:33 PM) : 

Let's see here, winter baking (or is that Spring baking with the temps like they were?), apple and caramel combined in a pudding type thingy AND good news on the news front...

Sounds like a really relaxing weekend to me!

 

Blogger Veron said ... (2/18/2008 5:49 PM) : 

I attended a sur la table class where nick malgieri was the instructor. He was a hoot! And apple - caramel ...yum!
I watched No reservations this weekend too. It was tooo cute! Although isn't funny how it's obvious Catherine Zeta Jones is no chef...how she tried to carefully squeeze that chocolate for the dessert and it came out like a blob...ha..haa..ha! I do love the line..."Rare enough for you"..hee..

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (2/18/2008 9:35 PM) : 

Oh yum! I am so loving this!
Your article at Foodview made me go and make a new bread pudding. This one is my ode to a oatmel raisin cookie...as bread pudding. So thanks for inspiring me.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (2/19/2008 12:30 AM) : 

And I made it the very same day you told me about it...I am good fact checker to your journalism, eh?!! Except that I use a pear, I can vouch for the fact that they are melt in your mouth heavenly good!
Wanna come show off your shorts in my 70+ weather :)

 

Blogger Tracy said ... (2/19/2008 8:30 AM) : 

You've got it going on, girl! An interview with Nick Malgieri! The dessert looks great.

 

Blogger Half Baked said ... (2/19/2008 10:01 AM) : 

Sounds like a great week-end to me! The apple caramel pudding...YUM.. Looks super!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/19/2008 4:01 PM) : 

Oh, yumm! I'll have to try this for my apple-lov'n hubby. Yes, warm here too - my nose is all pink from being outside over the weekend.

xoxox Amy

 

Blogger Annemarie said ... (2/19/2008 4:40 PM) : 

Self saucing pudding - is that like a self-basting turkey? Anything doing it for itself, rather than me doing it myself, has my approval.

 

Blogger Mary said ... (2/19/2008 8:48 PM) : 

Crap that looks delicious! I am just going to have to bite the bullet, buy bigger pants and make this for myself. Thanks for posting the recipe!

 

Blogger Marie Rayner said ... (2/20/2008 2:01 AM) : 

Oh my goodness . . . I just gained ten pounds looking at this delicious dessert! How have I managed to live thus far in life without having discovered this!!! I think caramel and bacon are two of a kind as well . . . gotta have both in your life or you just aren't living a full life!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

 

Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said ... (2/20/2008 6:21 AM) : 

apples, caramel, sauce and pudding... the name says it all! I'm going through a caramel kick myself so my mouth is watering right now!

 

Blogger Cakelaw said ... (2/20/2008 8:12 AM) : 

Woohoo - great weekend and an equally great pudding.

 

Blogger aforkfulofspaghetti said ... (2/20/2008 1:38 PM) : 

I'm a big fan of self-saucing puddings. This looks like a particularly yummy variation on the theme...

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (2/21/2008 8:19 AM) : 

Ooh I think I could make this right now, have it for breakfast! I think I even have one apple left to make it with!

 

Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said ... (2/21/2008 9:21 AM) : 

A fantastic pudding! Really tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/21/2008 12:37 PM) : 

Oh, mercy, that looks good. Last night I made an apple crisp that was rather disappointing. I should have read your luscious-sounding recipe first!

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (2/21/2008 6:22 PM) : 

Flip-flop weather. Jeez, Lis. You're killin' me. That's slipper weather around here. Brrrr....

I LOVE bread puddings and self saucing desserts -- especially right out of the oven. No cooling for me. This one looks delish! It's about time I made something sweet.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (2/21/2008 6:34 PM) : 

This is why I love food bloggers - I had no idea that stale bread and cake were good for anything but the garbage. I was totally inspired by your article Lis and saved the last two slices of stale coffee cake from their soon to be garbage can resting home. I turned them into a wonderful (if I do say so myself!)bread pudding,topped with caramel sauce. Double yum!!! Thanks Lis for another great article.

 

Blogger M said ... (2/21/2008 9:25 PM) : 

Oooo *drool*! That looks so rish and yummmy! My husband is standing over my shoulder and is asking "Make it please, please, please!" haha!

Great job, it looks awesome.

 

Blogger Gabi said ... (2/22/2008 6:17 PM) : 

Wow that looks scrummy!
So cool on the DB's taking the world by storm!
BTW yes yes caramel=bacon yes yes.

 

Blogger Morven said ... (2/23/2008 8:55 PM) : 

OMG - that dessert sounds DEE-vine. I can't wait til we get some decent new season's apples in so that I can try it.

 

Blogger Randi said ... (3/07/2008 4:20 PM) : 

I made this and it came out great. I might use less sugar next time and I ended up having a lot of sauce left over, but it tasted fabulous. Thanks for an awesome recipe.

 

Blogger Jeanne said ... (4/26/2008 8:47 AM) : 

How bizarre - I never got your e-mail. Oh well - probably out there in the aether!! My original post http://cooksister.typepad.com/cook_sister/2005/03/apple_caramel_s.html does in fact say where I got the recipe: the Australian Women's Weekly. And as for the pics, you were most welcome to use them... but as this was before I even knew what white balance was, yours are a lot prettier!!

 

post a comment