Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, February 04, 2008

Two of My Favorite People and Their Yumminesses!

Yeah.. it's my new word. Problem with that? :P

Yumminess.. and adjective that describes both Kelly and Ivonne as well as their cooking! :)

Reading Kelly's blog is just a sheer delight.. this woman can cook! She always seems to cook food that I'd love to eat and believe it or not, I am kinda picky when it comes to what trips my food trigger. True story!

Kelly's Blueberry Mascarpone Pancakes

So when I saw her Blueberry and Mascarpone pancakes.. kids, my trigger had done tripped. I could not wait to try them for myself. And I did, that very weekend. Hubbs and I agreed, unarguably, that Kel's pancakes were the BEST blueberry pancakes we've! ever! had! Hands down, game over.. I will not eat another blueberry pancake ever! again!

Seriously.

Kelly's Blueberry & Mascarpone Pancakes

The pancakes are kind of on the sweet side - or maybe they seem that way because of the tart blueberries. I dunno. But it was the perfect balance between tart and sweet for me. Of course I doused them in real maple syrup, but I tried a bite of the very last one that neither of us could manage to finsh, sans the maple-y goodness, and I'll be damned if it wasn't spectacular all on it's own. Oh no.. no syrup needed, my friends. This pancake is all inclusive! It's the whole package without the frilly wrappings and accoutrements!

If you've never taken my advice before, and I can't say that I blame you if you haven't.. but TRUST ME on this.. try these pancakes. Like right now. GO.

Kelly's Blueberry Mascarpone Pancakes
Kel's Blueberry Mascarpone Pancakes
or
The! Best! Blueberry! Pancakes! Ever!

1 1/2 c. flour
3 TBS. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. mascarpone at room temperature
3/4 c. + 1 TBS. whole milk (I used 2% - it's all I had)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 c. blueberries (fresh or fresh frozen -- without juice) I used fresh frozen

Preheat oven to 200º F. and then turn oven off. (Give yourself enough time to preheat the oven right before you start making your pancakes, so that you can turn it off right before the pancakes hit the griddle or frying pan. Heat a griddle or cast iron frying pan over medium-low heat.

In a medium sized bowl, sift dry ingredients together. In another bowl, whisk mascarpone, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest until well combined. Pour into dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Add blueberries and stir carefully into mixture.

Kelly's Blueberry & Mascarpone Pancakes

Ladle mixture onto hot griddle or frying pan that's been greased with a lil butter or non-stick spray and cook until bubbles surface and the bottom is goldeny brown. Carefully flip pancakes over and cook until goldeny brown and delicious. Place pancakes on a dish and cover with aluminum foil. Keep dish in warmed oven until ready to serve. Serve with butter and real maple syrup or eat plain (so good!).

And then there's Ivonne.. my partner in crime. The apple of my eye.. the cream in my coffee.. the ying to my yang, if you will. :) There's been many recipes of hers that I've made myself and documented on this blog and I'm sure there will be many more in the future.

She had decided to submit something to this month's HHDD - Pizza. And in true Ivonne style, she did not disappoint in either taste or presentation. She made sweet pizza sticks.. fluffy dough, with dimples full of brown sugar and butter. She hooked me with the brown sugar, but she had me at butter. *swoon* I made them the very night I read about it on her blog. I simply couldn't wait!

Ivonne's Sweet "Pizza" Sticks

Basically, I thawed some of my pizza dough - you could use any plain pizza dough, make a sweet dough or use the dough recipe given on 80 Breakfasts. Flatten it out on a cookie sheet and use your finger tips, or knuckles if you have long nails, to dimple the dough. You can either brush melted butter on the doughy dimples or pour it on - but if you pour, be careful not to use too much. Then you simply sprinkle the brown sugar on top in an even layer. I also added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon and 1 tsp. of cardamom to my brown sugar before sprinkling. I baked at 400º F. for about 15 - 20 minutes, when I noticed the crust was getting goldeny brown and the butter sugar topping was bubbly. (Is this the way you made it, Ivonne?) :)

Ivonne's Sweet "Pizza" Sticks

This is a great snack for movie watching or game playing. It's quite easy to eat and you can keep your fingers from getting greasy from the butter by hanging on the sides of the stick - yanno, so you don't butter up your Monopoly money or Wii controller. :P I also melted some left over ganache I had in my freezer for dipping purposes, and the dark chocolate ganache was a great match to the sweet dough. YUM! My only suggestion would be.. if there are only one or two of you enjoying this snack, I'd halve the recipe because these lil guys are pretty filling. :)

Thanks for such delicious yumminesses, gals! Hugs and smoochies!

xoxo

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Two of My Favorite People and Their Yumminesses!"

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (2/04/2008 2:39 PM) : 

I'd say you've got double yumminesses there!!!
I really like the idea that the pancakes are so good they don't need the syrup! That's my kind of pancake.

 

Blogger Namratha said ... (2/04/2008 4:00 PM) : 

Yuminesses...?! Now I know what you mean!! :)The pancakes and sticks look too good to resist. Can't blame ya for trying them right away.

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (2/04/2008 4:09 PM) : 

Um, thanks... I'm at my desk suffering from late afternoon blah, looking to keep from having a sugar fix and you post this!!

Guess what my first Lenten pancake supper is going be ;-)

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (2/04/2008 4:47 PM) : 

Mmmm, good stuff...and from two of my favorite people too.

 

Blogger Tracy said ... (2/04/2008 5:22 PM) : 

I'll pass on blueberries in my pancakes, but those pizza sticks look to die for. Next time we have family pizza night I'm going to set aside some dough for those.

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (2/04/2008 5:29 PM) : 

Lis, I'm amazed that there are parts of my body that are blushing I didn't even know existed. You are quite the lovely human and I'm all flustered now. Mwah! Erm...you got any leftovers...I'm starvin'! Bwahahaha.

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (2/04/2008 8:39 PM) : 

Oh my tummy is growling looking at those pictures! Yummo.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (2/04/2008 9:16 PM) : 

I am comin' over...I can be there before you can say Mele Cotte! :)

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (2/04/2008 9:52 PM) : 

Both of these sound extra droolworthy and are involving definite yumminesses. Love the photos too. Just made me want pancakes for dinner....

 

Blogger Helene said ... (2/04/2008 11:01 PM) : 

Those pancake hurt my eyes they look so good! Is it too early for breakfast?!! Oh wait, there' snacks with the pizza! Yumm for sure!

 

Blogger test it comm said ... (2/05/2008 7:07 AM) : 

Those blueberry pancakes look amazing!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/05/2008 11:25 AM) : 

As if yumminesses isn't a word, it totally is... And these two bloggers definitely exemplify it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/05/2008 1:06 PM) : 

OK, Lis you've exceeded the yumminess quotient there. I've alerted the food police and I'm afraid you're due on court. The "court of food decadence"!!!!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (2/05/2008 3:56 PM) : 

They both look so wonderful! I love, love LOVE blueberry pancakes. I might have to mess up my diet, er, lifestyle change, and give these a try.

 

Blogger creampuff said ... (2/05/2008 7:22 PM) : 

Aren't you sweet?! I'll bring the bread sticks if you make me a stack o' those pancakes! Gorgeous!

 

Blogger Oye Cookie! said ... (2/06/2008 12:45 AM) : 

These two recipes look amazingly yummy! I can't wait to try both of them!

jennifer
www.oyecookie.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/06/2008 7:24 PM) : 

I couldn't decide what to make for my sweetie for Valentine's day. This recipe has solved that small problem. My word!! I don't know if I can wait a week.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (2/07/2008 2:44 PM) : 

I'd say those pancakes tripped my trigger as well. I am *devoted* to my blueberry cornmeal pancakes, but I just bookmarked this, and I want! Love, love pancakes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2/07/2008 5:47 PM) : 

Positively drool-worthy! I must make these!!!

 

Blogger Jaime said ... (2/08/2008 12:56 AM) : 

WOW - can i have some pancakes?!

as you know, i just joined the DB this month... just checking out everyone else’s blogs, wanted to say hello :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/22/2008 2:12 PM) : 

Hi there,

My first trip in here and the best of surprises. My own grandmother's sweet bread sticks!

I haven't had home baked bread in such a long time that I had almost forgotten this old days treat.

Just two slight but incredibly yumminess difference though: it took us folding the dough 3 or 4 times with loads of sugar an oil to get an this incredible unidentified filling object: sugar and oil, once cooked, turn into an irresistible syrup.

Have a try, but Careful! Addiction will be a possibility :)

Muhan
From Paris, France

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/21/2008 7:22 AM) : 

Thank you thank you thank you for this pancake recipe! I haven't had a chance to make them with the blueberries yet (damn the Spanish grocery stores!) but I've done them with chocolate chips and plain maple syrup and they're to DIE for.

 

post a comment