Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, June 22, 2009

Not Very Pretty To Look At... But Delish Nonetheless!

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I did! It was a celebratory weekend as a matter of fact. :D The biopsy I had a couple weeks ago came back negative, but I was duped. For five months my doctor and I have been talking about lymph nodes but come to find out, he DIDN'T take a biopsy of the nodes, he took a biopsy of my bronchial tubes. He never said he was going to do that. So when I thought my ordeal was over at my last office visit, I found out that the nodes were still a huge issue and I had to have a PET scan. Well I found out on Friday morning that my PET scan came back negative! No lung cancer. :D So now that that's FINALLY over, and I'm not stressing over the "what ifs" anymore, I'm even more committed to getting healthy.

This recipe I'm about to share is a Weight Watchers recipe, it serves 4 and only has 5 WW points per serving. It's incredibly easy to put together (have no idea why the recipe says it's of "moderate" difficulty) and you only dirty one bowl, a knife, a peeler and a micro-plane grater. THAT'S IT. You cook these in parchment paper in the oven or foil bundles on the grill. We went with the grill.

The taste was amazing and the pork was fork tender - all in under 30 minutes. The only disappointment of this recipe is how it looks.. not very eye catching at all. And with a name like "Caribbean Pork Medallions" you'd think there'd be more color, yes? We both enjoyed this so much that it'll be made often this summer- and I will be adding more vegetables for color to make it as pretty as it is tasty.

Enjoy!


Caribbean Pork Medalions

Serves 4
Prep Time: 15 min. (it only took me 5 min. to peel/slice the veggies)
Cook Time: 20 min.
Level of difficulty: Moderate (Easy.. trust me, it's way easy)
WW points per serving: 5


1 large sweet potato, peeled & thinly sliced
1 small apple, cored and thinly sliced
2 TBS. dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tsp ginger root, peeled and grated
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice (not a fan, didn't use)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 pound(s) lean pork tenderloin, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into twelve half-inch slices
2 medium scallion(s), sliced

Preheat oven or grill to 400 °F. Tear off four 12-inch squares of parchment paper or foil. I had a much bigger roll of foil, so mine were like 18" x 12" rectangles.


In a medium bowl, mix sweet potato, apple and brown sugar; spoon onto center of each paper or foil square. **My husband doesn't like cinnamon in savory dishes, so after coating the apples & potatoes with the dark brown sugar, I put his portion aside, and added the cinnamon to the other 3 portions, instead of later in the "marinade".


In same bowl, mix apple juice, ginger, salt, allspice and cinnamon. With heel of your hand, press pork slices to 1/4-inch thickness; add to spice mixture and toss to coat. Place pork over sweet potatoes; sprinkle with sliced scallions. At this point I had left over marinade, so I just drizzled it equally over the 4 packets. Bring bottom and top sides of parchment (or foil) together over pork. Starting at center of each square, make a series of tight overlapping folds, then fold up open ends to seal packets. Place on a baking sheet, or on top rack of grill; bake until pork is no longer pink and sweet potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes. Open packets carefully when testing for doneness, as steam will escape. Serve, drizzled with any juices and garnished with chopped scallions.


xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Not Very Pretty To Look At... But Delish Nonetheless!"

 

Blogger Dragana said ... (6/22/2009 11:57 AM) : 

Great news Lis! I'm glad you're moving forward. It's good to see you blogging again - I'm definitely trying this recipe. Ciao!

 

Blogger Michele said ... (6/22/2009 4:59 PM) : 

I'm so happy that your test results came back with good news!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (6/23/2009 7:38 AM) : 

Great news!

 

Blogger Katie Zeller said ... (6/23/2009 2:20 PM) : 

You have been going through, um, heck. Glad it's turning around and things are looking good.
And the food is looking good, too. I love finding new ways to use sweet potatoes!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (6/23/2009 3:04 PM) : 

Wow ... did you here me huge breath of relief and the cheer that followed!!! Well that's ok if you didn't but know that I did.

Isn't it wonderful to know there really is great and healthy food that's super good to eat?!! Looks like a terrific on the grill dinner.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/23/2009 9:38 PM) : 

I am SOOOOOOO doin' my Snoopy dance right now!!!!!

So when ya taking me to TJ's??? I am coming to see ya soon, so you need to give me some dates!!!!

KKHH
J

 

Blogger Andreas said ... (6/24/2009 5:22 PM) : 

Yay for negative results.
And yay again for tasty grill recipes. ;)

 

Anonymous Juliana said ... (6/25/2009 6:49 PM) : 

Good news! The pork medallion does not look that bad...I had worse looking dishes...

 

Blogger Amy J. said ... (6/28/2009 3:22 PM) : 

Yummy-looking dish! Once I'm not pregnant I'm going to get back into the WW thing. It's always seemed easiest. Glad your test came back clear! :)))

 

post a comment