Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna

It's been 12 hours and I'm still swimming in the afterglow of the best lasagna I've ever had. Yes.. I made Ivonne's Mom's lasagna last night and whooo baby! I can't wait for lunch time!

After much deliberation, I decided to nix the braciole idea and use pork shoulder in lieu of the veal for Ivonne's sauce. I know that pork is more flavorful than most cuts of beef when simmering in a sauce and the fattier cut of the shoulder along with the bone would definitely impart good flavor, yes? Oh Hell Yes. And then much to my delight, I checked e-mail a couple hours after the sauce was still simmering on the stove to find that Ivonne had wrote back with that same suggestion. I was more than happy to know that my gut feeling was right on track!

I made just a couple changes.. the pork, obviously, and I had a good hunk of creamy Fontina cheese that needed used, so I added that in with the mozarella and parmigiano. Lastly, I had to use store-bought lasagna noodles. I'd give anything to try this with fresh noodles, but I don't have a pasta making machine and I'm kind of afraid of making my own pasta. One day I shall conquer that fear! But right now, I'm still chicken. This lasagna was so good with store bought noodles that I can't even comprehend how much more wonderful it is with fresh! Holy comoly! :D

In her e-mail, Ivonne suggested that if I wanted meat in the lasagna I should shred the pork and add it to the layers. I think that is a fabulous idea, but for my first try at this dish, I decided to keep it as close to Ivonne's as possible. I served the pork on the side and that worked really well. Hubbs got his meat and enjoyed it.. but only had seconds of the lasagna, so that - again - should tell you how damn good it was! ha!

So in a nutshell, all I can say is this.. Mama Cream Puff ROCKS! Thanks so much for sharing such a fabulous family treasured recipe, Ivonne.. I'll be making this lasagna for many, many more years to come!

Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna Whole
Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna
Courtesy of Ivonne and her Mom!

I'm going to direct you straight to Ivonne's post for directions on how to make this lasagna. Not only can you get a look at her fabulous pictures, but she explains how to make this much better than I ever could. =)

Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna

How does one loving daughter tell her mother that her lasagna recipe is out and someone else's mama's recipe is in? Pray for me people. Pray. For. Me.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/20/2006 6:19 PM) : 

Congrats on making Ivonne's lasagne! It looks just as tasty as her pic *drools*. I was over there drooling over her post as well, but lasagna is too rich for my family's tastebuds so no can do for me :(

Got my fingers and toes crossed for you hon, it ain't easy telling a parent that they've been out-cooked!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/21/2006 12:11 AM) : 

OH, hello!!!! I'm on my way Lisa ... I'm on my way. Just save me a piece. That looks fantastic! And I love the idea of using fontina. We don't stray from the mozzarella/parmigiano routine but I think some fontina in there would be awesome.

Don't worry about the noodles. As I mentioned in my post there are some excellent quality store bought noodles nowadays. And they look great!

And great call on the pork shoulder ... you can't go wrong there!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/21/2006 6:11 AM) : 

Ellie - Thank you heheheeee! She actually popped over yesterday for a surprise visit (of course the house was a wreck gawd) and I sent her off with a huge slice.. and that's where it ended. I couldn't bring myself to tell her the truth - figured after she tasted and called me with her opinion I'd be safe. I know she's gonna love it! (fingers on both hands crossed!)

Ivonne - I love fontina in anything that calls for creamy cheese! My hunk wasn't very big so it didn't make a huge taste difference but at least I got to use it up before it went bad =)

Normally, I admit *blush* I buy pasta that's on sale. But for this lasagna, I went to a specialty Italian store that I love shopping at and choose their imported lasagna noodles. There really was a big difference between those and the cheaper lasagna noodles I buy for the rolls, these were much more sturdy and I could actually taste the pasta. I'm fortunate to have that store near-by, especially for great occasions as this! :D

I've saved you a slice.. I hope I did you and your mama proud! hehee

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (8/21/2006 7:21 AM) : 

Oh ma ma mia!!! Your lasagna is just fantastic!!! Can't wait to sink my teeth in it! Thanks for showing Ivonne's link, would love to try later.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (8/21/2006 10:55 AM) : 

Lasagna recipes have started wars. Helen of Troy was captured 'cause her recipe ROCKED! If a car with blacked out windows pulls up in your driveway you might want to slip out the back.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (8/21/2006 4:10 PM) : 

Wait Lis, I 'm coming too! Save me a piece. This looks really good. Mama Cream Puff is gonna get famous on blog world coz I was thinking of making this on the weekend!
Pictures look soooo good!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/22/2006 5:56 AM) : 

gattina - this is a MUST try for sure! I hope that you do =)

Kevin - hahahahaaaa! I had no idea that was the reason Helen of Troy was captured. You learn something new every day! I'll keep an eye out for the black sedan and I've already planned out my escape route.. thanks for the heads up!

Meeta - Your piece is saved! I hope you do make it this weekend! We could have a big MAMA CREAM PUFF event if everyone tries this recipe! hehee

 

Blogger Helene said ... (8/22/2006 7:40 AM) : 

Now there's an idea, we should all celebrate Mama Cream Puff and make a batch of her lasagna amd post about it, kind of like a one off event.
I agree that these look fantastic and are on my menu for friday night. Will report too.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/22/2006 6:11 PM) : 

Helene! Thank you so much for dropping by! I think it's a fantastic idea and that we should do it! I'd love to hear others' opinions and see their beautiful Mama Cream Puff lasagna pictures! teee!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (8/23/2006 1:11 AM) : 

Ppppsssttttttt *whispering*

Hey Lis!

What happened to "Very Good Things?"

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/23/2006 6:46 AM) : 

Kevin - hehehe I answered in the pork sauerkraut comments (just so you don't think I'd EVER ignore you.. cuz I wubbbb yoooo!) Ali has decided that life needs more attention. She's taking a break from the PC because she feels she spends way too much time behind it. She might come back after her extended break and maybe, jussss mebbe, she'll bring VGT's back, but for now VGT's is a thing of the past =( At the very least, I just hope she comes back to post on SSC once in a while.. I miss her. *sniff*

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (8/23/2006 11:01 AM) : 

Aaahhh...I see. *Sorry, I missed the sauerkraut post comment.*

This blogging thing does indeed take a LOT of time. I can easily see how somebody would like to reclaim their life and let the mouse cool off for a while.

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (8/28/2006 2:46 AM) : 

thanks Acme and Lis for understanding about VGThings :o)

 

post a comment