Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, August 20, 2007

I'm Gonna Make Him an Offer He Can't Refuse

When my lovely friend, Sara announced that Paige from Chef Girl was hosting WCC No. 19 and had chosen "Dinner and a DVD" as this month's theme, I knew I had to get in on it.

There is something about the Weekend Cookbook Challenge and me. We live on different parallel universes I think.. because for the life of me, I can never be on time. I either run out of time completely with no idea of what I could have made in the first place.. or I try to sneak in under the wire and beg Sara to include my lil recipe at the very last minute.

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

Which is what I thought I was going to do this month.. hahahahaaa! That Paige though.. she's a fast rounder-upper! But that's okay, I'm still going to share this with yous guys because A- the recipe is KICK ASS and B- the movie is SUPER KICK ASS. And C- I went through the whole day dating everything the 19th :D

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

First the movie - what every Italian daughter should own in her DVD collection - The Godfather. Of if you are like me, you would own The Godfather DVD Collection, which contains The Godfather Parts I, II and III as well as a BONUS materials DVD. And ya'll know me.. I'm always up for a bonus. :D This was a gift from my mom after my father passed.

Do you find that odd?

My father was The Number One fan of The Godfather Trilogy (although he'd never admit to liking Part III even though he watched it, easily, over 50 times). The man owned pretty much every gangster/Italian related movie ever made, but The Godfather was the movie he watched over and over again. Seriously, if I had a dime for every time I came home from school, woke up in the morning, came home from work at night, was helping prepare dinner, brushing my teeth, doing my homework or talking on the phone and heard the theme song to The Godfather start up on our TV, I'd be a fakking millionare. I do not joke nor exaggerate about this. His VHS copy is barely holding together, it's been played THAT MANY TIMES. It's too bad he passed before DVDs were the thing.. he probably would have thought he'd died and gone to heaven anyway had he known he could watch HIS MOVIE in high def. =)

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

Did I ever mention that at my father's calling hours, we had The Godfather Waltz piped through the funeral home speakers? Oh yes. Yes we did.

And so.. as you can imagine, I too have seen the Godfather movies a bazillion times and can pretty much recite Parts I and II from memory. Yes yes, I hold the same grudge as my father regarding Part III - so sue me. :P I knew this would have to be the movie I would chose for this month's challenge. And what goes better with a lil Marlon Brando, James Caan and Al Pacino? Why Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna! That's what!!

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

I know I've blogged about this phenomenal recipe before.. but it is THAT good and goes SO WELL with a bulletproof vest fulla dead fish that I just had to blog about it once again. This time though, it's not exactly Mama Creampuff's recipe for I have tweaked and twiddled with it a bit. Not by much - you really can't screw with perfection too much, yanno ;)

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

This being maybe the 5th or 6th time I've made it.. I've gradually added a lil somethin' somethin' to it - such as the rinds from parmigiano reggiano wedges and a handful or two of the grated good stuff. I also added a lil garlic.. my father would have shot me if I did not add garlic. And lastly, something I've done from day one, is use pork shoulder steaks instead of veal because I just can't do veal.

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

So there you have it, friends.. The Godfather and Mama Creampuff's Lasagna - a true match made in heaven. :D

Mama Creampuff's Lasagna

xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "I'm Gonna Make Him an Offer He Can't Refuse"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/20/2007 9:12 PM) : 

Oh. My. Drooling. Lips. I am sooo starving right now and my eyeballs are crossing in my head with the stuff I've had to read today. I was headed down the roasted veggie/salad trail until I happened onto this. Jeez, Lis. Whatareyahtryin'tahdotahmme? Huh?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/20/2007 9:28 PM) : 

This looks sooooo good! I'll add you to the round up next time I'm tweaking the site. :)

 

Blogger Helene said ... (8/20/2007 11:00 PM) : 

I love The Godfather, I love Mama Cream Puff's Lasagna (made it 3 times already) and I love YOU!!!
Great read!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (8/21/2007 12:39 AM) : 

Don't kill me but I have never seen any of the Godfather movies. But I will gladly come over for dinner! Holy goodness that looks all things gooey goodness. I need to make that again. My hubby and I both loved it so.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (8/21/2007 4:43 AM) : 

Looks like as usual, you've got everybody all up again. That was a most fun bunch of movies! and a perfect dish! Gadfry you make it look lush!

 

Blogger Belinda said ... (8/21/2007 10:36 AM) : 

That's so cute about your Dad and the Godfather, Lisa...and of course you have to continue the tradition. :-)

And this, I see, is the sauce for the meatballs! The lasagna looks awesome, and I so agree about garlic...I add tons of it to just about everything savory here at my house too.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (8/21/2007 10:40 AM) : 

I love the food and I love the film - leave the gun, take the cannoli. :)

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (8/21/2007 11:37 AM) : 

I'm so glad you posted about this, because the first time you blogged about it, I wasn't a food blogger yet and didn't see it! Now I really want to try it out!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (8/21/2007 2:43 PM) : 

I can't believe I missed another WCC, I've been so slack lately. And you might want to kill me, but I've never seen the Godfather.

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (8/21/2007 3:16 PM) : 

Looks so yummy :)

I liked the Godfather films too, and I'm no movie buff! Might have been Al...

 

Blogger Cynthia said ... (8/21/2007 4:30 PM) : 

The Godfather movies totally rock! You have me yearning from of that food!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/21/2007 4:35 PM) : 

It looks soooooooooooo good! Sooooooooo good!!!

All you're missing is the cannoli!

 

Blogger Morven said ... (8/21/2007 4:51 PM) : 

I haven't seen any of the movies either but I'd certainly watch them if you fed me that for dinner - yum! Your photos are very creative. Well done.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (8/21/2007 7:21 PM) : 

This is too cute. Can we have a sleep over? I promise to watch the Godfather (also never seen it) and not eat all of the lasagna. I would also bring the cannolis! Thanks to you and Ivonne/her momma & of course Brando.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/22/2007 7:38 AM) : 

Kelly - hee! I'm sorry, I had no idea what trail you were headed for.. but look, this has tomatoes it - therefore it's healthy! :D

Paige - Aww thanks!

Helene - hehee I love you back!

Gracie - I won't kill you - but yes, first chance I get I'll make this for you and sit you in front of the TV to what the whole trilogy! ha!

Tanna - hehe thanks sweetie =)

Belinda - Yes! You MUST make it next time you make the balls :D

Patricia - HAR! Another fabulous line from the movie.. I loved Clemenza and I knew damn well it'd be Tessio. heee!

Deborah - Oh sweetie, you won't be sorry - try it! =)

Bril - I know, there are so many more I've wanted to get in on and just haven't because I've been slacking too.. I am so ready for Autumn!!

Kelly-Jane - Oh yeah baby.. How I heart Pacino. :D~

Cynthia - I couldn't agree more! heee!

Ivonne - I KNOW! Now that would have been the perfect dessert for movie night!

Morv - Okay looks like we do need a slumber party - my house for anyone who hasn't seen the movies - I'm cookin'! :D

Calli - See above. hahaha! Hugs sweetie :D

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/22/2007 9:05 AM) : 

hehe - I love your title. the hubby and I always test each other on quotes on movies. I really should make Mama Cream Puffs lasagna it looks soo delicious! An easy breakfast that we make frequently which we saw from a movie is that egg in a bread breakfast dish from Moonstruck.

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (8/23/2007 4:02 PM) : 

My husband was flipping channels the other night and stopped when he saw The Godfather (greatest movie of all time!) Would you believe I changed dinner plans and ended up making pasta? I just see that movie, and I have to eat Italian; it's just not an option! ;) Great post, Lis!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (8/25/2007 9:02 PM) : 

I totally love your pictures in this post. And I totally love this post, period!!! Thanks for aligning the stars this month and taking part in WCC! ;)

 

Blogger Chris said ... (8/25/2007 9:23 PM) : 

Anything better looking that this meal? Fu-get-about-it! Yum!

I love the Godfather Saga - seen all of them a ton of times. They have been been airing the saga quite a bit lately!

Great post!

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (8/25/2007 10:43 PM) : 

You're making a recipe I can't refuse!!!!

 

Blogger Elle said ... (8/26/2007 6:17 PM) : 

That lasagna looks like heaven! Great idea to use pork shoulder...I don't do veal either. Yummy, yummy, YUMMY!
Wonderful post, too. It is such a treat to be able to remember a father that way and to tie it into food...especially if y'all love food like we obviously do :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/28/2007 11:48 PM) : 

You always crack me up! What a great post... I bet your dad would be proud :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9/09/2007 10:20 PM) : 

My goodness!! I wish this happens in my neighborhood!! Those piles of food, gosh! I don't know where to start, Lis! They are all mouthwatering!

 

post a comment