Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Daring Bakers' June Challenge - Bakewell Tarts

I can't take credit for this month.. as ya'll know, I was pretty busy being poked, prodded and injected with radioactive materials and was afraid I'd run out of time again to finish my challenge. So my Hubbs, bless him, offered to step in and become an "unofficial" Daring Baker for the month! You just have to love him. ;)

As always.. business first! The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.


Hubbs said it was pretty easy and he had no problems, other than not being able to find the almond meal (that I had left on the counter for him that morning) in the freezer. hee!

Neither of us were exactly excited about this dessert from the get-go. Aside from cherry, almond flavoring is my least favorite. He's not a fan either. But we never figured we'd be keeping this in the house anyway, so that wasn't a big deal.

Unfortunately, after we each took a bite from the slice I had photographed, we were sadly disappointed. The almond flavor was too overpowering for us (we even left out almond extract and used vanilla). We both liked the shortcrust but it wasn't cooked the whole way through. After re-reading the recipe together, to make sure he didn't underbake the tart, we realized that there was just too much filling and that the crust should have been blind baked before adding the red raspberry preserves and the Frangipane.


That slice was pitched and the rest was taken to work the next day. There must not be any almond lovers in the group, as only one small slice was taken. The rest of the tart was pitched at the end of the week. :(

My only thoughts on this challenge was that if you are not an almond lover, you won't like this dessert, obviously. Again, we liked the crust and the idea of the jam layered under the Frangipane, so the next time I feel like making a tart, I think I'll use that shortcrust recipe, blind bake it, then freeze it and layer on preserves under maybe chocolate mousse or lemon curd...

You can find the recipe on both Anne-Marie's and Jasmine's blogs or on The Daring Kitchen website. Please hit the "still temporary" Daring Bakers' blogroll to see how creative our members are! You'll be amazed! :)

xoxo

Labels: ,

Comments on "Daring Bakers' June Challenge - Bakewell Tarts"

 

Blogger Dharm said ... (6/27/2009 1:40 AM) : 

Sorry you didnt like the tart Lis! It was really enjoyed over here but then again, we love almonds! Hope things are going well with you. Congrats to the hubs for a great job! HUGS!

 

Blogger Audax said ... (6/27/2009 2:40 AM) : 

Hope all the treatments lead to a good result - pity you didn't like it maybe next time use another nut. And yes I always blind-bake any sort of pastry shell it was always crisp and not soggy. Couldn't even give it away mmmmmm.....I just loved it.

 

Anonymous Lisa said ... (6/27/2009 5:12 AM) : 

Lis, do you have dogs? You KNOW they'd love your tarts :) I think they look great, and the fillings sound yummy, but you have one of heck of a palate, so I knew you're not joshin' when you say they were kinda 'eh'. Oh, well, here doggy, doggy!

*hugs xxx*

BTW, did you get my email about your surprise coming? :)

 

Blogger Deeba PAB said ... (6/27/2009 9:21 AM) : 

Sorry you didn't quite enjoy it Lis...but your good hub has one a brilliant job! WOW...would put my hub to shame! We're quite a nutty family & we loved the tart. Thanks to the DB stuff, my little fellow is on a diet...LOL!

 

Blogger Aparna Balasubramanian said ... (6/27/2009 10:29 AM) : 

A bit tough it didin't turn out the way you wanted, especially after all the effort. You could try other nuts maybe, hazelnuts, pistachios, macadamias or even cashews. I've seen all these on DBs posts today.
I didn't blind bake mine, but then I made mini-tarts.
Good luck with the tests and hope you're ok.

 

Blogger Kitchenlander said ... (6/27/2009 10:45 AM) : 

Kudos to Hubbs for stepping in!
Also, you can't like everything, next time will be better!
Don't know what's going on, but good luck with your radioactive injections!

 

Blogger Engineer Baker said ... (6/27/2009 1:15 PM) : 

Wow, I need a pinch baker - I barely fit mine in this month! I agree though, that the tart dough needed to be blind baked and it's not a dessert for non-almond lovers. Gorgeous though!

 

Blogger Rose said ... (6/27/2009 1:29 PM) : 

Nice husband you've got there! Maybe you could have used a different nut instead of the almond?! Sorry you didn't like it... still, great job on the combined effort for the challenge! I hope you are feeling better. HUG!!!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (6/27/2009 2:17 PM) : 

Sorry you didn't enjoy the tart! It looks beautiful. I hope that you are doing well =D.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (6/27/2009 2:40 PM) : 

Well at least you were able to participate in some way.
I'm not a fan of almonds, so maybe it is a good thing I couldn't make this.

 

Blogger Heather B said ... (6/27/2009 3:04 PM) : 

Sorry you didn't like it. It still looks great though!

 

Blogger Andreas said ... (6/27/2009 4:40 PM) : 

Ah well, different people like different things. At least, it should have been better than being poked with radioactive probes. ;)

 

Blogger Faery said ... (6/27/2009 11:16 PM) : 

What was that about radiactive things, Lis???
Oh I am so sorry :( you didn't like the tart,but your hub did a wonderful job, the tart looks great. We love Frangipane, maybe that's why we liked the tart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/28/2009 8:26 AM) : 

I'm so happy to read that the waiting and tests seem to be over - big kisses sweetie! I'm loving you from here!
Now next time you and your ADORABLE husband have almond issues, just send them my way, k? I love almond, and if you fedex it, I could still eat it! :)

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (6/28/2009 1:42 PM) : 

Bezzzar! I now need to re-read the recipe. I didn't blind bake the crust and thought it was fine. I used way too much jam and not enough frangipane!
What a pain when it looks good and doesn't do it for the taste.

 

Blogger Amy J. said ... (6/28/2009 3:25 PM) : 

LOL for your Hubbs - he sounds like mine! Bless their hearts!

Sorry you didn't like the tart - because it looks awesome! Mine didn't seem extremely almond-y. I think it'd be good with just vanilla and some other type of nuts, though it wouldn't be a Bakewell...eh!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (6/28/2009 5:02 PM) : 

Clone the hubby! Clone the Hubby! :)

 

Blogger Elle said ... (6/28/2009 7:16 PM) : 

So glad that all the prodding and poking is over and all came back negative. So sorry that you didn't enjoy this tart...but it is REALLY almondy.
Audax made some with the pastry, jam and then a Victoria Sponge filling that would, perhaps, solve the almond problem (especially if you used vanilla instead of almond in the crust.
You have a STAR of a hubby! although he seems to share my hubby's difficulty with finding things.

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (6/28/2009 11:27 PM) : 

Hubs is a fantastic Daring Baker!

Sorry you didn't enjoy the tart.

BUT most importantly I'm so glad you are done getting prodded, poked, and irradiated and everything is OK.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (6/29/2009 3:18 AM) : 

yup you gotta love Hubbs! shame that you did not like it though - we loved every bite but I made frangipane using cashews. still the tart looks lovely!

 

Anonymous Madam Chow said ... (6/29/2009 8:55 AM) : 

Well, it sure looks pretty! Fortunately, mine baked all the way through, and my husband loved it.

 

Blogger Lesley said ... (6/29/2009 9:30 AM) : 

Gorgeous! wonderful presentation on the Italian-esque plates. You're right, I was amazed. This recipe was easy, pretty and tasty...all good.

 

Anonymous veron@kitchenmusings said ... (6/29/2009 10:05 AM) : 

How sweet that your hubby stepped in to do this for you but sorry you didn't like it. Hope you are all better! love ya sis!

 

Blogger Michele said ... (6/30/2009 4:38 AM) : 

Sorry you didn't like the tart. Your husband is so sweet to help you!

 

Blogger Dewi said ... (6/30/2009 10:45 AM) : 

Oh that is too bad you didn't quite like it! I think yours look really delicious!

 

Anonymous Juliana said ... (6/30/2009 6:15 PM) : 

I am sorry that you did not like your tart...but looks delicious.

 

Blogger BC said ... (7/03/2009 9:11 AM) : 

Ours was more successful and everyone liked it but I learned from everyone else to blind bake the crust. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

 

Blogger Annemarie said ... (7/06/2009 4:44 AM) : 

Yes, my heart sunk a bit when I read your post at first and found you didn't like it. Oh well - can't win em all! But superstar effort from the husband in helping it get done. Hope you're feeling perkier soon.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (7/06/2009 6:26 AM) : 

Your bakewell tart looks beautiful! It was too ambitious a challenge for me, haha. Looks like you got the layers just right. Beautiful!

I can't wait to see how the bean cake turned out for you, and left you a response at the post. All the best! :)

 

post a comment