Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Yule Be Happy To Know I Made It!

Well I don't know if ya'll will really be happy or not, but I am.

I didn't think I would be able to participate this month. Yeah, wouldn't that have been nice? One of the co-founders has to take a powder on the month she is co-hosting! Gah.

This lil log o'mine took me 5 days to make, but it's done and I'm kinda liking it! The best part was after I streaked some melted chocolate onto the buttercream frosting, Hubbs looked over and said it looked like a log! Yay! Usually he looks over and wonders out loud what the hell I'm trying to make now. My frosting skills.. well, we all know how bad my frosting skills are. ;) And then, since it looked like a log, he came over to investigate further as I was putting my first meringue mushroom together and decided he'd like to help! HAR! That does not happen often.

So this month's Daring Baker Challenge - The Yule Log - hosted by my lovely partner Ivonne and I, was quite a trip. Between taking care of my mom, an unusually busy month at work and getting ready for Christmas, I had to do one component a night - and I missed 2 nights due to stuff I just listed! I'm happy to say that I did not have any problems with any part of the Yule log. My mushrooms came out pretty decently and the cake worked just fine.. I had a lil unsure moment or two during the buttercream. I was already nervous making it after reading all the horror stories on the DB blog about curdling and separating, but I took my time and, of course, called my Guru to walk me through the butter part. Voila! Perfect coffee buttercream was had!

I can't tell ya'll how it tastes though - it's for tomorrow night's festivities, but I went with the chocolate version of the genoise and I absolutely SLAVED over the filling. Do you have ANY IDEA what it takes to pull the lid off a carton of Cool Whip?? :P Yes, I filled the log with chocolate Cool Whip. ;) Go me!! heee!

So without further ado, here is my Yule log!

Daring Bakers Yule Log Challenge

Daring Bakers Yule Log Challenge

Many, many thanks to Ivonne - just for being you. :D And triple that thanks to Helene for pretty much taking over the reigns of this challenge for Ivonne and I when we couldn't be there for any questions or concerns.. which was the whole fakkin month. Ugh! Thank you sweetheart, I don't know what I'd do without you!xoxo

Daring Bakers Yule Log Challenge

You can find the recipe on that gorgeous and sexy Canadian Creampuff's site here. I must end this quickly as I've got the calamari sauce on the stove and Michel Richard's Faux Gras in the oven! squeeeeeeee!

Head on over to the blogroll, kids.. and be amazed at the creativity that our members used for their Yule logs - you won't be disappointed! :D

Daring Bakers Yule Log Challenge

Happy Holidays everyone!

xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Yule Be Happy To Know I Made It!"

 

Blogger Helene said ... (12/23/2007 6:59 PM) : 

I hate it when you make something and tell me over the phone and I want to be in your kitchen right then and there!! I love it! The mushrooms are perfect! The log is big and full of Cool Whip love (and you said you were not gonna tell about our secret love with CW!!)
I hope the whole family enjoys it and I can't wait to hear how the "faux-gras" turned out!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (12/23/2007 7:34 PM) : 

Way to go!! I'm with Helen, I want to be in your kitchen right now enjoying the marinara and "faux-gras" (And some of those balsamic onions and white beans to go with it!!)

 

Blogger test it comm said ... (12/23/2007 7:45 PM) : 

A forest of mushrooms! Nice looking Yule Log.

 

Blogger Elisabeth said ... (12/23/2007 8:51 PM) : 

It indeed looks like a real log. You'll enjoy the taste, too. This was a really fun challenge. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/23/2007 10:02 PM) : 

It was a fun challenge, indeed. I love the big mushrooms on your log. I bet you'll love the taste as much as I did.
Thanks for this great challenge. I am now a daring baker, yay!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (12/23/2007 10:46 PM) : 

you did a wonderful job! nice bark.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (12/23/2007 11:40 PM) : 

I was going to be disappointment - I mean no problem - and then there was chocolate cool whip! You always know how to drop my jaw!! Beautiful mushrooms - they were such fun! Love your log.
Merry Merry Christmas to you and all you love!!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (12/23/2007 11:53 PM) : 

I didn't even know they made chocolate Cool Whip.
I do love the streaking of the chocolate, it does give the more realistic look. A job well done as usual. Hope everyone likes it.

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (12/24/2007 12:28 AM) : 

Oh Wow. Yours looks so real! I love your technique. And the Cool Whip idea sounds just right. Hang in there with all you have going on. Happy Holidays!

 

Blogger Susan @ SGCC said ... (12/24/2007 1:04 AM) : 

The Yule Log looks great! I'm glad you got to participate. I had similar issues and almost didn't make it myself. It's always something, isn't it!

Merry Christmas to you.

P.S. I have calamari sauce on the stove too. ;)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12/24/2007 1:59 AM) : 

Well...I'm glad to see I'm not the only! one who used Cool Whip! I think it lightened it after the heavy buttercream. Yours looks great...especially the streaks and cocoa! Hope you mom continues to get better and you have a very Merry Christmas!

 

Blogger Marie Rayner said ... (12/24/2007 3:20 AM) : 

Happy Christmas Lisa! Your log really has it going on!!! I love, Love, LOVE your mushrooms! They are so, so, SOOOOO mushrooomy!!!!! I think it's quite wonderful!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/24/2007 3:32 AM) : 

wow, it does look like a log!

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (12/24/2007 3:43 AM) : 

With all that you've been going through this month we would've understood if you had to bow out. But it's great that you were able to do the challenge. Happy Holidays!

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (12/24/2007 5:35 AM) : 

Oh yes, definitely bark-ish! Way to go Lis, glad you could make it.
Have some well-deserved rest (as you would say HAR!) and enjoy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/24/2007 8:27 AM) : 

Awesome! Love the chocolate streaking!

Need to know more about "faux gras"!

Ann

 

Blogger Veron said ... (12/24/2007 8:34 AM) : 

Fantastic log, Lis! This was quite the challenge ...I'm assembling mine later for Christmas eve dinner. I want to know about Michel Richard faux gras...is this the one he made with chicken liver instead? He is such a jolly looking man that reminds me of Santa.

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (12/24/2007 8:55 AM) : 

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and dive into that Yule Log.It looks great and family members got in on the action...what could be better! I made my log over a few days but did not leave myself time to make the meringue mushrooms...bad Val!

 

Blogger creampuff said ... (12/24/2007 9:48 AM) : 

I can't believe how life-like your mushrooms are! They look amazing. And your log looks luscious and ... log-like. I never thought I'd say that as a compliment.

Anyway, I'm so glad you made it and of course it was a total pleasure hosting with you. Here's to a great 2008 for the Daring Bakers!

 

Blogger Katie B. said ... (12/24/2007 10:32 AM) : 

You rock! Thanks for a lovely challenge!!!

 

Blogger Marce said ... (12/24/2007 12:14 PM) : 

wonderful job, sweetie! I´m glad you got to make it, cool whip or not, I was right there with you in the last minute posting, but we both did it, yey us! After the Xmas frenzy is gone, we need to arrange a yahoo date, i miss you.

 

Blogger Annemarie said ... (12/24/2007 12:22 PM) : 

I hope everyone is fighting fit and healthy for Christmas. Very impressive you persevered with the log considering how topsy-turvy things have been for you. And oh boy, didn't your little piece of wood sprout a whole host of fungus!

 

Blogger Lunch Buckets said ... (12/24/2007 3:15 PM) : 

That's one sexy chunk of log! At least you didn't get a splinter from the CW label - that wood have hurt :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/24/2007 3:21 PM) : 

I'm glad you joined us! Looks great!

 

Blogger La Madame Chapeau said ... (12/24/2007 4:20 PM) : 

Wonderful mushrooms! Big big log to satisfy many people! Well done Lis!

Unfortunatelly I'm late to posting date as we had another religious festival here, and have tons of desserts at home. If I had baked it, it wouldn't be eaten...

So I will bake the Yule Log by the end of december, maybe for the New Year's eve night, and post it... But will 'bake' for sure :)

With lots of love...
Banu

 

Blogger Cynthia said ... (12/24/2007 8:44 PM) : 

Happy holidays Lis!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (12/24/2007 9:26 PM) : 

Your squiggly mushrooms are the best! And I knew that despite your busy-ness, you'd never miss this challenge! Glad you made it!

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (12/24/2007 9:27 PM) : 

Your yule log is incredibly log-like! Happy happy holidays to you and your family.

 

Blogger Lindsay Blau Portnoy said ... (12/24/2007 10:17 PM) : 

How fun that this months challenge begs for help from the fam =) This was a great idea, and again...it was a huge challenge! Great looking log and your mushrooms look real!

 

Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said ... (12/24/2007 10:53 PM) : 

hey--that does look like real wood! Choco cool whip--haha! hope you enjoyed it, and thanks for the challenge!

 

Blogger Julie said ... (12/25/2007 2:36 AM) : 

Wow, it looks like a real log, and that is awesome!!! Great job! I want a slice!

 

Blogger April said ... (12/25/2007 5:39 PM) : 

How can you go wrong with chocolate cool whip? yum!

 

Blogger Cookie baker Lynn said ... (12/25/2007 8:10 PM) : 

Your log looks wonderful. I love the happy mushrooms dotting it and the chocolate on the log makes it look like bark. I hope your mother is feeling better and that you had a nice Christmas.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (12/25/2007 10:17 PM) : 

Ah Lis, such a gorgeous, full, chocolaty (is that a word??) Yule log...and the best stand of mushrooms in the blogosphere as far as I can tell.
Wishing you the merriest of Christmasses, a 2008 that is as stress free as possible and full of cooking with friends...plus a tub or two of Cool Whip when you need it ;)

 

Blogger Mikey said ... (12/25/2007 11:22 PM) : 

Hi Lis, Thanks for the challenge this month. It was an "educational" experience! I love the way you did your log.
cheers.
Mike

 

Blogger Fruit tart said ... (12/25/2007 11:29 PM) : 

Thanks for the challenge and I'm glad you had a chance to make it too. Lovely -- and there's nothing wrong with a little Cool Whip! ;-)

 

Blogger Kristen - Dine & Dish said ... (12/26/2007 12:15 AM) : 

This looks fantastic Lis! I love how each blog I visit of the DB's looks slightly different, yet all delicious.

 

Blogger Mindy said ... (12/26/2007 1:31 AM) : 

Lis! Your mushrooms make me happy...

good work...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/26/2007 7:02 AM) : 

Oooh! Fantastic yule log...you are truly a fearless leader :)

 

Blogger Half Baked said ... (12/26/2007 10:09 AM) : 

Thanks for such a fun challenge! Your log looks lovely! Great shroom's

 

Blogger Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said ... (12/26/2007 12:04 PM) : 

What a lovely yule log...so very life like. It looks simply scrumptious and I wish I could put my fork into the picture and take a bite.

Happy Holidays!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

 

Blogger Chris said ... (12/26/2007 12:57 PM) : 

Looks great! Lovin' the squiggling mushrooms!

Hope your holidays went without a hitch! :) Hugs!

 

Blogger Tracy said ... (12/26/2007 8:58 PM) : 

VERY impressive! Well done!

 

Blogger Gretchen Noelle said ... (12/26/2007 9:07 PM) : 

I do love the idea of chocolate cool whip! Lovely log, so glad you were able to make it and hope you enjoyed the holidays!

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (12/26/2007 9:38 PM) : 

So glad you could make the yule log this month in spite of the challenges! I love the mushroom forest! And you know what? When we were running out of time to make our yule log on Saturday night Michael suggested I run out and buy some chocolate Cool Whip for the filling!! Great minds think alike! Ha ha ha ha!

Thanks for choosing a fun challenge for us!

:-)

 

Blogger eatme_delicious said ... (12/26/2007 9:54 PM) : 

Looks great! You and Ivonne picked a great challenge. :) I'm glad you were able to get the chance to make it!

 

Blogger Glenna said ... (12/27/2007 8:18 AM) : 

Lis, it's adorable! I love all the toadies growing up out of it. Fabulous! Thanks for the challenge. I really enjoyed that one.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (12/27/2007 8:49 AM) : 

Chocolate cool whip!! Yumm! Love the way you streaked yours in different shades it looks brilliant. Thanks for an awesome challenge!

 

Blogger Dharm said ... (12/27/2007 9:39 AM) : 

Lis!
Great Log and I'm sure it tasted great as well. Hope you had a great Christmas. Much love from this side of the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/27/2007 11:18 AM) : 

What a beautiful Yule log! The mushrooms look great. You did a wonderful job!

 

Blogger Gabi said ... (12/27/2007 5:22 PM) : 

Cool log Lis,
Hope your month is settling down and you have some time for yourself!
Thanks for a lovely challenge and Best wishes for a Happy New Year!
xoxo
Gabi

 

Blogger Chou said ... (12/27/2007 6:29 PM) : 

Cool Whip happens to be my favorite frosting for chiffon cake--light, fluffy and sooo very stable. :) Good call. :) Happy Holidays.

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (12/28/2007 1:40 AM) : 

Chocolate Cool Whip?!? Well I'll be damned... I learn something new with every one of these Daring Baker challenges. And for that I want to thank you (and Ivonne). I've learned and grown a great deal in the last 6 months... and I owe a lot of that to this little sorority/cult/club you two have built.

I owe you an email, but I wanted to touch base here with best wishes for a happy 2008 filled with health, wealth, love, laughter, and continued friendship.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (12/28/2007 2:25 PM) : 

I absolutely love your mushrooms, and I'm so glad that you were able to do this in such a crazy time! I had a lot of fun with this challenge, and it was something I would have never made on my own, so thank you!!!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (12/28/2007 3:26 PM) : 

Woot! Looks great!

 

Blogger Julius said ... (12/30/2007 12:23 AM) : 

Hi Lis,

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. :)

This really has been a fun challenge. Your yule log is gorgeous.

Julius from Occasional Baker

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (12/30/2007 6:18 PM) : 

Hi Lis, had to add my voice to the list of others who loved the challenge and your mushroomy log. Thanks for all your encouragement and positive vibes. You have a wonderful energy!

 

Blogger The Baker & The Curry Maker said ... (12/30/2007 6:44 PM) : 

Your Yule looks great! Thank you for the awesome challenge and Daring Bakers generally. Happy New Year.

 

Blogger Jen Yu said ... (12/31/2007 12:52 PM) : 

Woohoo on the cool whip! I think it looks great and I'm glad you guys picked such a fun challenge this month. Thanks for being our hosts and founders - we love you.

jen at use real butter

 

Blogger Brittany said ... (12/31/2007 3:15 PM) : 

I was pretty miffed to have to miss out on this challenge, but cruising thru the logs here with a cup of coffee is making up for it. Luverly my dear!

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (12/31/2007 5:41 PM) : 

Lis, those are the most stud-like mushrooms I've ever seen. Did you see my wimpy ones? Jeez. And the whole thing looks amazing. And knowing what you had on your plate this month, YOU DID IT! Um...Cool Whip? Bwhahahahahahahaha...snort. I love it.

 

Blogger Molly Loves Paris said ... (1/01/2008 4:48 AM) : 

Your log really looks like a log in many ways, but I've never seen mushrooms quite like yours, they give it a very fanciful appearance. I bet it tasted great.

 

Blogger SteamyKitchen said ... (1/01/2008 8:10 AM) : 

ok. I'm still working on the courage to join your Daring Bakers club.

I can fry, steam and microwave.

baking...no talent whatsoever!

happy new year, my friend!

 

Blogger Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said ... (1/02/2008 9:52 AM) : 

Ooh how pretty!!! And log-ish!! Looks great. I love the Cool Whip too. Wish I had thought of that :-)

 

post a comment