Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Talk About Being a Bad Hostess...

Holy crap, I'm almost late for my own party. Well no.. it's not just my party, I have the incredibly talented and gorgeous Ivonne (who is also my sister from the north) co-hosting with me at our end of summer bash La Festa al Fresco!

Oh I could give you the excuses.. threw my back out.. the Daring Bakers are just booming.. it's sooooooooooo fakkin' hot out.. yeah, they all work. But to be brutally honest - I have just been a weeeeeeee uninspired lately. I had just as much time, if not more, than everyone else to cook up something fantastic to share and I dropped the ball. I hope ya'll can forgive me? xoxo

But.. the good news is.. I've recently been inspired! Why yes, ladies & gents, twas JUST LAST NIGHT that the man and I, with assorted furry kids laying on top of us, were checking out Food TV and Giada's boobs amazing talent in the kitchen.

She was cookin' for herself and holy cow what a feast! Even I couldn't eat all that "food for one" she made.. but it all looked fabulous. Especially this super easy dessert she made that started that lil glimmer of inspiration..

Amazingly good..

Would you look at that?? Does it not look dreamy, creamy and deliciously divine? (even for a horribly lit photo) We were amazed after tasting this tonight and I knew.. THIS WAS IT! This was what I was bringing along to the party to share with all of my wonderful friends..

Giada made hers with pineapple and pinoli nuts. Well since pineapple isn't exactly "local" or "fresh" here in the Armpit of the Midwest, I decided this would be a lovely way to use up the rest of the super sweet prune-plums we bought at a local farmer's market this weekend - and they really worked nicely with the pineapple. I omitted the nuts as we didn't have any and I was going to throw in a few cinnamon glazed cashews I bought at the market as well, but I'm a dork, and forgot 'em. :P

Workin' it in the Revere ware! A horrible picture of the caramelization process
Yes, your eyes do not deceive you - I threw in one lonely, not very flavorful, peach into the mix. :D

A lil butter.. a lil honey.. caramelization begins to happen and a nice thick syrup starts to form from the butter, honey and juices of the fruit. *swoon* As soon as it's all warmed through and very lightly browned, dish it up and then plop a dollop of mascarpone cheese on top. I sweetened mine with a little powdered sugar - but Giada used a tsp. of rum in hers.. which is the way I'd go if serving this to guests.

Fruity & Creamy & Deliciously Divine
Please avert your eyes from my unsightly washing machine in the background :P

Super easy, super quick and seriously super delicious.. unarguably one of the best desserts I've ever had.

Now is this going to be a rockin' Festa al Fresco, or what??!! :D

In a word.. *slurp*

xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Talk About Being a Bad Hostess..."

 

Blogger Casey said ... (9/06/2007 1:00 AM) : 

Sitting her laughing about Giada's amazing talent(s)

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (9/06/2007 2:39 AM) : 

Grin! You do it to me every time! While I love to see how the lady chefs throw their um.. talents in the game (Nigella do you hear me?) I keep thinking: what's that mashed to death potato puree doing on top of lovely caramelized plums?

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (9/06/2007 7:23 AM) : 

Even though the Food Network seems to be veering off into boob land, they still have some stars who can cook, and Giada is one of them. Nice way to use those plums -- I have tons of them in a bowl on my counter, and a bit of mascarpone in the fridge....hmmm....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/06/2007 8:00 AM) : 

Fantastic Lis! You made it after all. I'm glad you got inspired to make this - even if it is boobsy Giadia.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (9/06/2007 11:05 AM) : 

That looks like a heavenly way for me to use up all the fruit sitting on my counter...

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (9/06/2007 11:45 AM) : 

What a simple dessert that looks perfect!! I want to try this before the summer comes to a close...

 

Blogger african vanielje said ... (9/06/2007 6:27 PM) : 

well I didn't nearly miss it, I totally mised it. Are you sure you only have one once a year?

 

Blogger african vanielje said ... (9/06/2007 6:29 PM) : 

Okay, it's a good thing I can spel Missed it. I don't have food network out here in the backwoods. So who is giada? I only ask because she obviously has inspiring plums

 

Blogger Belinda said ... (9/07/2007 10:42 AM) : 

Sounds super yummy, Lisa! And I truly love that you included the one lonely peach along for the good times with his plum buddies! :-)

 

Blogger Anita said ... (9/07/2007 12:40 PM) : 

Lis,
As the hostess I think you get the honor of bringing up the rear! What a fabulous looking dessert, sounds so summery! thanks again for all of your hard work to make the Festa such a great event!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (9/07/2007 2:50 PM) : 

You are just being fashionably late as they say, but with this in your hand this is totally worth the wait!

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (9/07/2007 5:35 PM) : 

Oh, this is luscious, Lis. I just bought some Italian plums and was trying to think of another use for them; you just gave me one! With company visiting over the weekend, I missed the deadline to submit, but I'll look forward to the round-up.

 

Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said ... (9/07/2007 6:25 PM) : 

It looks delicious!
Take your time ;-P... You are lucky to have such weather! Here, it is cold and it feels like end of October!

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (9/08/2007 3:56 PM) : 

Wow, this is spectacular! Love the fact that it is seasonal. oh, you added the seasonal touch. amazing.What a way to contribute to the party.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (9/09/2007 9:10 AM) : 

Even some with amazing talent can actually cook.
This does seem like a very excellent Italian dessert!
I'm living with a very delicate internet connection at the moment as an explanation for why I've been absent.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (9/09/2007 9:11 AM) : 

I could never see you as anything but the most gracious of hostess!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/09/2007 11:23 AM) : 

You kick Giada's butt any day of the week. Any day! Sorry about the scene I caused when you set these out. But I had to just dive right in.

Thanks for hosting this with me. You know how much I love you!

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (9/09/2007 2:12 PM) : 

I like Giada, and her recipes are almost always great :)

I can only thing that some people don't watch cooking progs for the food :) hee hee!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (9/13/2007 12:36 AM) : 

Wow a what a feast Lis. Thanks for hosting.

 

post a comment