Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Time to Make the... Fritters!

So in my last post I wrote about two of my most favoritest people on the face of this planet. Well this post is all about two more of my most favoritest people on the planet, Helene and Gracie.

I am so going to get yelled at, but...

Helene called today, like she does often - bless her cute lil cotton socks. :) It was a very uneventful conversation as both of our lives have been pretty tame this past week. She's been busy with her mom who is visiting from France and I have been busy with work. So why am I even mentioning this phone call? Because I'm wicked. But in a good way? MUAHAHAHA Anyhoo, at the end of the conversation I mentioned that I had taken out ingredients to do some baking this weekend and before I could tell her what I was baking, she interrupts with, "You'll be making doughnuts, right?" I didn't say much to that, other than I had hoped that I would be able to get the doughnuts made and that we'd see. She then told me that she wouldn't be mad if I couldn't squeeze the doughnuts in and I said that I knew she wouldn't be. The whole time not one giggle escaped my lips. But they wanted to!!

donutday

As! If! I would not be contributing to this awesome event called, Time to Make the Doughnuts! Gracie and Helene came up with the idea of holding an event chock full of doughy delights known as the doughnut - and every variation thereof. :) I've never made a doughnut before, but as my ass & hips can attest, I've eaten my fair share. I've always wanted to make doughnuts - the kind that are fluffy and airy on the inside, with a soft crust that is enrobed in a sugary glaze. But I figured that doughnut will most likely be made by someone else, so I spent a week searching recipes and doing a lil research until I decided that I wanted to go the fritter route.

There use to be this lil doughnut shop on my way to work which was owned by a friend. So every morning, I'd stop in and grab a cup of her coffee and her deeeee-licious apple fritters. Oh my God they were so good! The fritter was the big puffy and airy doughnut that I described earlier, but there were chunks of apples and raisins throughout the dough. The whole thing was covered in a crispy glaze that was actually more buttery than sweet. And they were HUGE! Seriously huge. One of those and I'd be good until late in the afternoon. Unfortch, my friend decided to get out of the business, so she sold it to someone else who only makes wedding cakes. What Evah.

Pan Fried Apple Fritters

Okay now here's where this post stops making any sense.. I found a recipe that I knew was going to produce big fat apple fritters like the kind I ate at my friend's shop. They are a Dutch fritter called Olie Bollen, traditionally served on New Years Day. I saved the recipe and I printed the recipe, but ultimately, I didn't make them (yet). No.. because I never know when to stop browsing recipes. Hours, I could spend HOURS looking through cookbooks, mags and websites and never get bored. So that's what happened here. I found another recipe that I decided to go with because there was a sauce that went with them, and who am I to pass up a delectable sweet sauce?

The recipe I went with is called Pan-fried Apple Fritters with Apple/Honey Dipping Sauce. I came across this recipe on a new website to me called, Care2. It's a great site focusing on living green, healthy living and human rights. I found this recipe in their Green Living area.

Pan Fried Apple Fritters

These fritters are really easy to make, and can be residing happily in your tummy in under an hour. They are crispy on the outside and so tender and moist on the inside. These fritters are made with grated apples, which really lends to the moistness of the dough even though you squeeze all of the juice out for the sauce. I will be making these over and over again, of this you can be assured.

Pan Fried Apple Fritters

The dipping sauce is delish, but these fritters don't necessarily need dipping. They are just sweet enough and again, very moist on their own. But, never one to pass up a chance to gild the lily, I decided to spoon the sauce over a couple of them. Heavenly. But very, very sweet. Hubbs ate his plain and demanded these be breakfast every Saturday morning from now on. Which is shocking because he's such an eggs, sausage, hashbrown kinda guy, yanno? heee!

The only change I made to this recipe was to add the raisins and I used cardamom instead of ginger. And the only other change I'll make to this recipe in the future, is to cut the honey in the sauce from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup so that the apple juice stands out more. Speaking of that sauce, it gave me another idea which I plan on trying in the very near future. A syrup made from reduced apple juice and a couple tablespoons of honey and then used as a sweetener in my tea. I'm thinking the combination of the apple fritters with a hot cup of apple induced tea is going to be THE BOMB, baby!

Pan Fried Apple Fritters

I urge each and every one of you to make these lil fritters, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

Thanks Gracie!! Thanks Helene!! Love yous guys!

xoxo

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Time to Make the... Fritters!"

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/09/2008 9:43 PM) : 

I'm just like you Lis, I could spend days pouring over recipes and never get around to actually making anything as a result, I just sit there and find more and more.

Sidenote- the fact that you tagged this post with "I'll Take Things You Dip for $300 Alex", nearly made me spit out my tea...

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (2/09/2008 11:08 PM) : 

Those apple friiters look divine with the glaze and all. Yummm.

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (2/09/2008 11:19 PM) : 

Oh how I love apple fritters! That is what I always used to go for when we would go to the store. I fear homemade ones would be a bad idea...since I would eat them all! Glad you got them done in time or else I fear that Helen would have sicked the dogs on you! :P

 

Blogger Helene said ... (2/09/2008 11:33 PM) : 

Arghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you were pulling my leg...although for a split secon I really wondere if you were serious...naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!
They look awesome! Thanks for being part of the event!!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (2/09/2008 11:51 PM) : 

and now it's my "d' key as you noticed!!!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (2/10/2008 12:07 AM) : 

OH those are so totally worth getting yelled at for!!!

 

Blogger sylvie1950 said ... (2/10/2008 12:51 AM) : 

I really enjoy visiting your site. The food blog world is a great opportunity to induldge in so many cuisines. Hope this comment doesn't get lost but I have also tagged you to participate in a new meme called "Tag" You're It. I invite you to see my site for info on this event and to find out 5 things about me.

http://soulfusionkitchen.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (2/10/2008 5:03 AM) : 

Good grief you do know how to find the most over the top from out of the way places.
Sauce, honey and apple juice on apple fritters.
I can pass up a lot of dough nuts but apple fritters almost never. So divine!! You rock again Lisa.

 

Blogger creampuff said ... (2/10/2008 9:49 AM) : 

Mmmm ... mmm ... mmm ... I'm on my way for a batch of those. Apple fritters are among my favourite doughnuts!!! They look so tender and fresh. Mmmmmmm ....

 

Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said ... (2/10/2008 10:40 AM) : 

These look so gooey and I can't help myself! I am so excited to see alll these doughnut recipes. I can't wait until the 15th!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/10/2008 11:21 AM) : 

Brilynn - It's quite an addiction, isn't it? Finally! Someone noticed! My tribute to Trebek. heee! :D

Courtney - They were! :)

Gracie - I had that same fear yesterday - after I ate FOUR. Gah. So I froze the rest. :)

Helene - teeeee! I so got yelled at. :)

Mary - har!

Sylvie - Thanks sweetie! And thanks for the tag.. I'll get it posted soon. :) Read yours and enjoyed it! Your puppy is adorable!

Tanna - Thank you, love :) xoxo

Ivonne - I'll have them nice and warm when you get here! xoxo

Ben - haha sorry! :) I agree though, you must make for your in-laws, you'll be their favorite son-in-law EVER! And hmm.. I don't know why these couldn't be baked? Maybe if little more flour was used to make the batter thicker?

xoxo

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/10/2008 11:22 AM) : 

Aran - you aren't kidding.. I can't wait either! :D

 

Blogger Oye Cookie! said ... (2/10/2008 12:07 PM) : 

These look great! Only two days left. I better get to it!!

jennifer
www.oyecookie.com

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (2/10/2008 2:46 PM) : 

Seriously, I am so glad you don't live next door to me -- I would be running over there right now to grab those fritters off the kitchen counter!

 

Blogger Annemarie said ... (2/10/2008 2:58 PM) : 

Oh I love apple fritters - makes you feel like your donuts are an eensy bit healthy. I found a good donut recipe but forgot to make them this weekend...oh dear...

 

Blogger jasmine said ... (2/10/2008 5:36 PM) : 

Oh yum. Oh yum. Oh yum.

j

 

Blogger Chris said ... (2/10/2008 11:15 PM) : 

I am trying to head to bed and I see these...woa! Girl? What are you doing to me? :)

 

Blogger Veron said ... (2/11/2008 11:08 AM) : 

I was planning to make it to the event but these weekend I was just so tired. Those fritters look awesome...how I wished I saved some energy for the event.

 

Blogger Cara said ... (2/11/2008 2:46 PM) : 

Apple fritters are my favorite doughnut! I too, picked apple fritters to make for the doughnut roundup. Unfortunately, my first batch was a bit of a flop....but reading about yours may have inspired me to try again this afternoon with a few adjustments to my recipe. Love your blog!

 

Blogger giz said ... (2/11/2008 10:52 PM) : 

I'm sold.. must make fritters...must make fritters - a new mantra...bookmark today, make tomorrow :)

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (2/12/2008 12:29 PM) : 

Please feel free to send a few my way!!

 

Blogger Tiina said ... (2/12/2008 5:56 PM) : 

Your fritters look sooo delicious!

 

Blogger Cakelaw said ... (2/16/2008 4:56 AM) : 

Drool - these look sooo good.

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (2/18/2008 10:44 AM) : 

Dang woman. These look finger lickin good. My ass and hips thank you for the calories you have given me by just looking at these awesome fritters.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (2/18/2008 11:11 AM) : 

Ooh I know I'm late but those look very good! Yummy!

 

post a comment