Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, March 19, 2007

Memories

My dear, sweet friend, Ellie, is holding a one off Nostalgia event in hopes that everyone will share a story about a food that brings back memories.. so how could I let her down?

Well duh. Of course I couldn't let her down. Sheesh.

I've blogged a lot about my favorite dishes enjoyed in the years growing up but somehow this one slipped my memory - maybe because I'd never tried to replicate it in my own kitchen. I was sitting at the kitchen table with Hubbs discussing this very subject. Wondering out loud what the hell I was going to write about. And as we were going back and forth about favorite foods from our childhood (because that's what I wanted to hit upon) I stunned myself by actually "misplacing" this dish in the recesses of my memory! How could I forget it? It's not like my mom made this every once in a while - hell no, it was a staple in our family's weekly dinners and I love it! My mom's chicken & noodles.. you can't get more simple and delicious than this dish.

I can't really say that I associate this dish with one memory only - instead, thinking about this stick to your ribs, comforting meal reminds me of many occasions. For example, this was the first dish that my youngest sister ate as a solid food and didn't actually spit out and fling back into my face. I remember her tasting it, as I instinctively held my hands up in front of my face, and her smiling and doing this grunt thing that she did when she was pleased with her food. That might have been the first feeding where I came out unscathed.

I remember this being dinner the night our part of the state received the worst ice storm in it's history.. sittin' all cozy, eating this yummy chickeny noodley concoction in front of the tube - most likely getting my fix of The Fonz, Richie, Potsie & Ralph Malph (what can I say? I was a sucker for the bad boys, the good lookin but vacant boys and red heads!).. and then an hour or so later, no power. Dead of winter, nothing but inches upon inches of ice outside and us with no power for 2.5 days. I will NEVER forget the kind of cold you feel INSIDE your body when you've spent over 48 hours with no heat. And this is also the reason why, I give as much money as we can to Ohio's homeless funds.. I can't even imagine how those people survive our winters. *shudder*

And finally, although the memories go on and on, the last one I want to share is that this was one of the last dinners my dad requested before he left us.. my mom came home from work (by this time, we'd shut the restaurant down and she had taken a job at the local Rite Aid) checked on him and then made this for him. And blah dee blah blah blah I can't write any more without getting all blubbery.. so yes! How could I forget this dish??

*ahem*

So without further ado.. I'll share this recipe.. make it one night when you want something comforting - use whichever chicken part you'd like.. change up the egg noodles for klusky noodles or whatever floats your noodle boat.. add more veggies or substitute a vegetable for the sweet peas.. whot evah. Just make it, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. =)

Mom's Chicken & Noodles
Mom's Chicken & Noodles

The recipe below will feed 4 people with generous portions

8 chicken thighs, skin on & bone in
1/2 c. flour
Salt and pepper
Enough oil to just cover the bottom of your pan
4 c. chicken stock + enough water to make enough gravy - can't give an exact measurement, you'll have to "eyeball" it.
Enough flour to thicken the gravy - I think I end up using 2-4 TBS. ?
1 can sweet peas
3 sm. cans of sliced mushrooms
1 lb. bag of egg noodles
Garlic powder to taste
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oil in your electric fry pan, or very large skillet if you don't have an electric fry pan. I set mine on 350ยบ F.

Mix the flour with the salt & pepper in a shallow bowl or plate, dredge the thighs in the flour mixture. Place the thighs in the hot oil and brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.

Add the stock, water and flour to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring often, until as thick as you desire. Add the peas and mushrooms. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.

In the meantime, or even ahead, cook your egg noodles until al dente in salted water.

Mom's Chicken & Noodles

Once your gravy is thickened and your noodles are cooked, add the chicken and noodles back into the fry pan and mix well. Heat this mixture until warmed all the way though - about 10 to 15 minutes. Done!

Mom's Chicken & Noodles

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Memories"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/20/2007 8:43 AM) : 

Hon, thank you so much for sharing this special dish and these special memories with me for my Nostalgia event :) It sounds like the kind of dish that would be handy in anyones repetoire when one is in need of some hearty, warming, stomach-filling comfort :)

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (3/20/2007 9:08 AM) : 

This brings back some memories. Yours looks so good.

My mom made something similar but with ground meat instead of chicken, which I make now and then.

Yum.

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (3/20/2007 9:21 AM) : 

klusky noodles?

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/20/2007 9:29 AM) : 

Ellie muh luv - you are more than welcome! Thanks for hosting such a lovely event. =)

Cheryl - Ohh your mom's dish sounds intriguing, I'd like to know more! (BTW, love your blog!)

Rachel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kluski

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/20/2007 11:29 AM) : 

Do you put the entire thigh back in, or rip the chicken off the bone and put it in? Looks delish! Like a nice quick weeknight meal.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (3/20/2007 3:17 PM) : 

Yup, I'm sure I love it.
Thanks for the wonderful and tender memories!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (3/20/2007 4:17 PM) : 

There is something wonderful about the way noodles soak up gravy. Thanks for sharing your memories.

 

Blogger christine said ... (3/20/2007 9:26 PM) : 

So many memories associated with this dish - sweet and bittersweet. You are a dear for sharing them, hard as the last one may have been. The dish looks so comforting and something my folks would love. Thank you for sharing. :) HUG!

 

Blogger Freya said ... (3/21/2007 9:13 AM) : 

Looks so delicious! Wonderful photography!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/21/2007 10:06 AM) : 

I can see why that dish is so memorable for you. Looks really good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/21/2007 1:10 PM) : 

Wow! This dish does look comforting and soul-warming, if this kept you going during 48 hours with no heat, then this one deserves a prize!

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (3/21/2007 2:15 PM) : 

Well Lis, I think you got us all a little teary-eyed. Isn't is wonderful that we can find some solace in such comfort food? Thanks for sharing the lovely memory.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/21/2007 2:37 PM) : 

Now this is what I call real chicken and noodle...with visible chunks of chicken. Perfect comfort food!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/22/2007 9:11 PM) : 

This does look like a comforting dish, I can just see a family seated around the table having good conversation and sharing a homecooked meal. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (3/23/2007 3:06 AM) : 

Lis, this post is just wonderful! I smiled, teared, and smiled again! And now, I'm very hungry... esp that gravy you made, superb!

 

Blogger Anuhea said ... (3/23/2007 4:27 AM) : 

mmm, too bad my mom didn't cook much. But your recipe looks so savory, do you think white wine would go well splashed in the sauce? It's just I love cooking with wine and it sounds like the perfect compliment to mushrooms and chicken. (I don't mean to change the recipe, I'm sure its fab the way it is). By the way I loved your hhdd cheesecake! I printed it out and put it in my endless recipes to try book. I made a cheesecake too but it was a little too late for HHDD, and it wasn't nearly as elaborate and wonderful as yours looks!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/23/2007 6:27 AM) : 

Julie - I thought I responded to your question but I must have been dreaming? lol Anyhoo.. it's totally your choice. For timesake, I didn't shred the meat when I made this last week.. so it was kind of a pain to have to peel the skin and fat off after it was cooked (I always leave the skin on when cooking the chicken so it stays moist - yep even the dark parts - and then remove it after it's been cooked.) BUT normally my mom would shred the meat before putting it back in with the noodles.

Tanna - No, thank you for such a nice compliment =)

Callipygia - Yesss.. noodles are wonderful that way =)

Christine - Aww thanks =) Hugs back!

Freya - why thank you! =)

Kristen - Thanks!

Monisha - well... I can't say it kept us going during the power outtage, but it was nice to have before the cold set in! hehee

Susan - Thanks for the nice words.. I didn't mean to get mushy - I seem a lil emotional lately. lol

Veronica - Oh it really is wonderful comfort food!

Ari - Yeah those are the nice memories =)

Gattina sweetie - Thanks! Me too! hehee

Anuhea - Yes! I think wine would be a nice addition to the gravy - good idea! =) And thanks for the compliment on the cheesecake.. I kinda went a lil overboard, eh? lol Thanks so much for stopping! =)

 

Blogger Helene said ... (3/23/2007 9:12 PM) : 

What a great comforting dish! Thanks for sharing the memories as well as the recipe!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (3/28/2007 1:20 AM) : 

Comfort food and/or mom or grandma food is the best.

You do SUCH a great job of capturing the emotion and heart of food in your blog.

Kirsten

 

Blogger Deborah Dowd said ... (3/31/2007 7:10 AM) : 

This is very simlar to a dish my mom made with the leftovers of a pot roast meal. To this day it is one of my favorite comfort foods with the bites of savory meat and the big wide egg noodles... Thanks for taking me back!

 

post a comment